Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    pennyd

Default What does this census record say?

I am looking into my HANNAM family history, historically based in the Pateley Bridge area of Yorkshire. My great great Grandfather was Humphrey HANNAM bpt 29/04/1827. His baptism records for the Chaplery of Pateley Bridge records his parents as William and Sarah, abode Hayshaw (entry bottom left page as below)

Image removed by moderator

Looking for Humphrey and his parents in the subsequent Census' of 1841 / 1851 I was drawing a blank but think I have finally found the 1851 census record for them, the family name as being transcribed as HAUMAN and Humphrey transcribed as Umphrey HAUMAN (FMP), living in Little Timble.

Image removed by moderator

He is recorded with parents William HANNAM b abt 1786, Bewerley, and Sarah nee HOUSEMAN b abt 1792, Felliscliffe. It appears they only had two children (unusual in those days?) brother Mark b 1818 Hayshaw, Dacre and Humphrey (1827). Subsequent census' show Humphrey married with wife Elizabeth (nee French) and record his birthplace variously as Dacre (1861), Ripon (1871), Dacre Banks (1881), and Knaresborough (1891).

Two questions / problems.

1. I find the handwriting of the 1851 census record difficult to decipher. Can anyone make out what is recorded as his birthplace in the 1851 census?
    2. Based on the information I have, can anyone find any of William, Sarah Mark or Humphrey in the 1841 census?

Thank you.
    Last edited by Ladkyis; 15-01-2017 at 4:17 PM. Reason: Images are copyright so they have been removed

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi Penny

Some answers on the 1851 census, I think:

I've had a look at the extract on Ancestry, and I think Humphrey's place of birth is Lawns Foot. There's a reference to it here:
    https://www.
    nidderdalednaproject.co.uk/getperson.php?personID=I256&tree=nidderdalednaproj ect
    (When I preview this post, for some reason a space has appeared in "project" at the end - you'll need to remove this when putting the link back together.)

The reference is RG12/3509 fo18 p4 if you want to check, and looking at the return and the description of the enumeration district in 1891, it appears to be in or adjacent to the hamlet of Heyshaw. It's also next to Monk Ing, so I think it's probably what is shown on the following map as Lane Foot (near the bottom left hand corner):
    https://maps.nls.uk/view/102344659

Incidentally, if you're basing Sarah's place of birth on the 1851 census, I think it's Kettlesing.

I haven't looked in 1841, and must away to other things, but I may get chance later if no-one else has found them by then.

Arthur

pennyd

I think I may have broken the site rules by adding what deemed to be copyright images. The edit opportunity has now gone so not sure how to remove / repost at this stage but no doubt a moderator will be able to remove the offending material? Anyone inclined to look into this and need any pointers to the original material please let me know. pennyd

1841, Mark Hannam seems to be with Houseman family at Hardcastle Garth, Kirkby Malzeard, Pateley Bridge

Registration district Pateley Bridge
    Archive reference HO107
    Piece number 1285
    Book number 4
    Folio number 32
    Page number 34

edit - sorry that may not be the correct Mark
    Last edited by wimsey; 15-01-2017 at 4:36 PM. Reason: afterthought

pennyd

Thank you Arthur for your quick and excellent pointers. That all seems to fit nicely. I was slightly concerned the census transcribers had recorded his birth in Lancashire which of course wouldn't fit and I couldn't decipher the record to get a clue as to where to look.

earlier you said you thought William & Sarah had only 2 children. Have you discounted other Hannam baptisms under Pateley Bridge or Ripon with parents William & Sarah ?

e.g.

Anne Hannam baptised April 1823 - parents abode Dacre Pasture
    William Hannam baptised March 1825 - abode Lanes Foot
    William Hannam baptised August 1820 - abode Dacre Pasture
    Mary Hannam baptised February 1829 - abode Hayshaw

these two under Ripon independent

George Hannam baptised February 1833 - abode Lanes Foot
    John Hannam baptised October 1830 - abode Lanes Foot

all with parents William & Sarah. I haven't followed them through to find death dates.

Haven't found 1841 with Humphrey. Since William and Sarah married in 1815 I think I would expect more children from the earlier period. We only have Mark before 1820.

a 12 year old Mary Hannam at Skew Hall, Fewston with Mr & Mrs Robinson and others

Registration district Otley
    Archive reference HO107
    Piece number 1284
    Book number 12
    Folio number 12
    Page number 6

a 16 year old William Hannam at Brass Castle, Fewston with Leuty father & sons

Registration district Otley
    Archive reference HO107
    Piece number 1284
    Book number 12
    Folio number 10
    Page number 2

I think Mary Hannam marries miller William Hardisty in 1849. On the 1861 census they are with their children and Mary's unmarried brother George Hannam at a mill house in Norwood, Wharfedale.

Registration district Wharfedale
    Enumeration district 7
    Archive reference RG09
    Piece number 3218
    Folio number 70
    Page number 10

I think George Hannam marries Harriet Bradley in 1862 in Wharfedale, but I've lost them after 1871. George a corn miller born Dacre Banks on the 1871 census.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast