1881 census
    Edward Charlton 70 - Head
    Mary Ann Charlton 67 - wife
    Cathrine Charlton 36 - Daughter
    Andrew Oliver Charlton 24 - son
    Isabella Charlton 16 - Grand Daughter
    Edward Charlton 14 - Grandson
    James Charlton 13 - Grandson
    Jane Charlton 32 Visitor - married (so would she be the mother of the grandchildren)

did your Edward marry jane and have children Edward H and Elizabeth J as on the 1901 census
    Hi

I had discounted Jane as she is quote as a visitor to the head

This is my gf birth certificate

Brick wall demolition expert!

1911 Census – the eldest child’s name is correct as “Edward Hutton Charlton”. It’s not uncommon to see children given the mother’s maiden as a middle name and sometimes even as a first name.

What your grandfather’s birth certificate is telling you about his father is: (a) his name: Edward Charlton, (b) his occupation: coal miner and (c) where he was living: 72 Jubliee Terrace. It does not tell you where Edward was born. You get that information from the Census.

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    1911 Census – the eldest child’s name is correct as “Edward Hutton Charlton”. It’s not uncommon to see children given the mother’s maiden as a middle name and sometimes even as a first name.

What your grandfathers birth certificate is telling you about his father is: (a) his name: Edward Charlton, (b) his occupation: coal miner and (c) where he was living: 72 Jubliee Terrace. It does not tell you where Edward was born. You get that information from the Census.
    I have attached the census previously and it shows Edward was born in Bellingham.

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post

What your grandfather’s birth certificate is telling you about his father is: (a) his name: Edward Charlton, (b) his occupation: coal miner and (c) where he was living: 72 Jubliee Terrace. It does not tell you where Edward was born. You get that information from the Census.
    Hi Megan
    If you look on the 1911 Census the eldest Child is printed at Hullon not Hutton which i take to be an error.

Im quite confident that the Head, Edward Charlton listed on the 1911 Census is the following born in Bellingham

From FreeBDM
    CHARLTON Edward Bellingham 10b 273

I have ordered his Birth Certificate

Growing old Disgracefully

These names are taken from the census 1851, 1861, 1871,1881.

Children of Edward b abt 1811 and Mary b abt 1814 Elsdon.

William Charlton 1844– Bellingham 1851 Census
    Cathrine Charlton 1845– Bellingham 1881 Census
    Margaret Charlton 1848– Bellingham, 1851,1861, 1871 census
    Alice Charlton 1850– Bellingham 1851, 1861 (aunt)
    Mary Charlton 1851– Bellingham 1861
    Andrew Oliver Charlton 1857– Bellingham 1861, 1871, 1881

there are Births for William, Catherine same dates on FreeBMD also a Alice Oliver 1849 Bellingham

Marriage on Sep 1840
    Edward CHARLTON Bellingham 25 209
    Maryann OLIVER Bellingham 25 209

If this helps you.

Growing old Disgracefully

You know from the 1911 census that Mathew Sidney's parents are Edward Charlton and Jane Hutton their marriage cert will give father's name if he has one, occupation and if he is still alive.

Marriages Dec 1897
    Edward Charlton Tynemouth 10b 445
    Jane Hutton Tynemouth 10b 445

1901 Census has the Grandchildren (brother and sister to Edward) Isabella b abt 1866, and James b abt 1868 from the 1871 Census living with Uncle Andrew and his sister Margaret.

janbooth

I think this could be the answer to the parentage of your Edward CHARLTON born c1867, courtesy of FreeReg website and hopefully will be confirmed by the details on his birth certificate:

2 June 1867 at Corsenside St Cuthbert Edward CHARLTON illegitimate son of Catharine CHARLTON of Broomhope Mill. Doing a Google search for Broomhope Mill shows that is part of Bellingham, Hexham, Northumberland.

Janet

Hi. Been a while since I logged on. I now Have the Birth Cert for Edward Charlton b1866. Birth REG in 1867. There is no farther on the cert. So yes indeed he is the illegitimate child of Catherine b1845.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast