Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Starting to feel at home

Hi geneius, I also wanted to ask you... where did this information come from? Just wondering as it's the first I've seen this pop up. Pearl Toolsie was Doris' baby that passed away shortly after birth I believe. So I was surprised to see her name come up at all. I'd love to know where you found the info. Interesting! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by geneius View Post
    Just trying to grasp your search
    familysearch

Owen Toolsie Father
    New York, New York City Municipal Deaths, 1795-1949
    birth: B W I
    spouse: Doris Spicer
    child: Pearl Toolsie

Starting to feel at home

Sorry I just saw where info is from oops. I've never seen her come up before... wow

Starting to feel at home

Hello again everyone! Hope everyone is well. I'm just revisiting this thread. I'm still searching but haven't found much yet unfortunately. I'm not giving up hope though!

I reached out to The Consulate General of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago in New York. I was able to send in notarized requests for Doris Spicer and Eleanor Loinsworth's death certificates. They were able to find Doris' death certificate which I'm happy about! I'm not surprised, but I'm happy I'll eventually have that, and I hope her parents name's will be listed (and maybe with other spellings that I've yet to search with). It will take a while for me to finally receive it though, as records from Trinidad can take forever. I say I'm not surprised because I've had a much easier time finding documents for her since she wasn't always in Trinidad and those are the records that are so hard to obtain. Her being in New York and California has made it much easier to find documentation (thus more facts) to help search overall.

Unfortunately, they were not able to find anything for Eleanor Loinsworth. So that means either her name is listed another way or I am way off on her death date. I know she existed (I have photos of both her and Elvon plus a handful of their 14 kids to prove that)! So I will continue to search. But this will be tough. I wasn't able to submit a search for Elvon since I do not have his death date.

I was able to speak with a rep from the consulate over the phone which is EXTREMELY difficult to do. I truly got lucky with that! The woman went out of her way to search a little extra (name, few different dates) but still nothing. She told me to submit for a 'search of records' for Eleanor which is different from death certificate search and will take a long time, but now I can't reach anyone on the line again to tell me where to get the 'search of records' application. Go figure. It was supposed to be on the consulates website, as the rep told me, but it's not. So difficult! Who knows when/if I'll ever be able to do that 'search of records' now...

Well, my main reason in posting today is to inquire about this: in reading back over this thread, I had a thought. Dundee mentioned that there were both SPICER and LOINSWORTH slave owners in the islands. Maybe if I did a search that way, something might turn up? Does anyone have any suggestions about that? I had never thought to do that but don't know where to begin really. Maybe I'll find a link to someone somehow...?

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee10 View Post
    This website has some links to accessing civil reg. certificates and church records ('research' tab). Having a search done for Doris' birth registration would seem to be the first thing to do.

https://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ttowgw/

Do you know if both of her parents were of African descent? There were both SPICERs and LOINSWORTHs who were slave owners in the islands.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Thank you for updating us.....

I found this a couple of weeks ago whilst searching for another post,

https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...ghlight=slaves

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123