lauraathawes

Default Where is the best place to build your tree

I have been using FTM (Family Tree Maker) from Ancestry for many years and have finally had enough of it's slow software and constant crashing. I tried MyHertiage today and just couldn't get on with it and then was very annoyed at the fact that it said it was free and then it wasn't when I uploaded my tree to the webiste.

So have any of you got any other recommendations?? I would like to be able to add photos and documents to the tree and they remain private (which currently doesn't happen with FTM) if I up load it onto the internet and it can support a Gencom file import. I don't mind if its not directly linked with any of the big family history web pages as long as I can add the documents and link them to the correct person etc...

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I'm not very tech-minded and am unfamiliar with most of the programmes but some things to think about:
    Do you want your tree to be 'yours' or do you want it to be available on the web?
    If it's web-based do you still want it free, or are you willing to pay for extra 'bells and whistles'? (Tribal Pages is free for basic stuff, but you have to pay a yearly sub to add photos etc.)
    What is going to happen to your tree when you pop your clogs? i.e. if it's web-based can someone else take ownership?
    If it's web-based, and connected to a company will you have to pay to access your tree all the time?
    What is the support like if you have a query/problem?

I think I'm correct in saying that with Family Historian you can now create a website from your tree. (You might be able to do it with others, but I don't know.) Family Historian does have an excellent support group.

I googled 'comparison family history programmes' and found this link https://www.
    toptenreviews.com/software/home/best-genealogy-software/
    though I'm not sure how independent it is of Legacy Family Tree.
    I would suggest you do the same, and check out some of the other results I got.

You might like to also have a browse through https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...alogy-Software
    though you need to check the dates of some of the threads.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

FTM only gives these problems if you use the online version. If you want to keep your work private, whichever software you use, the best option is to keep your main files on your own hard disc, with a backup somewhere in the cloud (Dropbox?) for safety.

If you want to. change software, I strongly advise you to get trial versions of as many as you can and try them all with a small bed on file. We all have difeeent requirements, and anything I find good might not suit you.
    Good luck.

Reputation beyond repute

Where is the best place to build your tree?
    On your own PC and not online. Google UK genealogy software. Many have free (crippled) versions for evaluation.

Also check Gramps (totally free).