Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice required

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Starting to feel at home

Exclamation Advice required

Could someone please tell me if i import my tree from Ancestry to a stand alone tree program, will all the census results etc come with it or will i still have to subscribe to Ancestry to read them.

Brick wall demolition expert!

If you export your Ancestry Tree as a GEDCOM file then all the census results should come with them when you import that GEDCOM file into your stand alone software.

Starting to feel at home

Thank's Megan can you recommend a user friendly program.

I personally like Family Tree Maker, which is no longer owned by Ancestry. It is now owned by MacKiev:
    https://www.mackiev.com/

Everyone has their own view on the subject.

Try an internet search for "which genealogy software" and you should come up with some review sites which might help you choose.

Starting to feel at home

I was wondering this as well. Good advice. I'd like to import my tree as well

I like FTM as well, but prefer not to rely on commercial online systems, so it's installed on my own hard disc and all of my work is there. In fact, I have 2 versions running side by side because Anc dropped some features that I like when they took it over. I have the 2011 version for normal use, and the 2005 for when I want something special.

I use Anc, but since I didn't keep my tree on their site, I'm not concerned about who owns FTM.

Different software suits different people, and there's several different programs around so the best thing to do, as Megan said, is to look for the trial versions of any that look attractive and try them out before you settle on one of them. Any decent genealogy program will be able to make and read GEDCOM files (the txt equivalent for genealogy) so you can create one for a small branch of your tree and then try it in the various trial versions...

thewideeyedowl

Default Writing Up Your Family History Forum

Hi Trevboy and a very warm welcome to Brit Gen...

I agree with what the others have been saying - basically, you need a GEDCOM file and it is a good idea to investigate several different programs by trying them out in their 'free' version. One thing suits one person, another thing suits another person - in the end, it is all down to personal preference.

Also, have you seen the Writing Up Your Family History Forum here on Brit Gen: https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...family-history? You will find lots of threads that are relevant to your present query, and we have often discussed the pro's and cons of different programs. The main names you will come across are: FTM (as you know), Legacy, Roots Magic, Family Historian (UK-produced and UK-oriented).

And once you are trialling a program, or even just curious, head to You Tube and put the program name into the search box. Lots of 'tutorials' will come up, some made by the makers, some by ordinary users. Legacy, in particular, has a lot of stuff on You Tube because there is a very active Legacy Virtual Users' Group.

I hope you will be able to find the program that is right for you. Keep us posted.

Swooping off.

Owl

Starting to feel at home

Have looked at Roots Magic Legacy and Family Historian all look rather complicated. Like the look of FTM but £70 is a big hit, as I am only after a stand alone program I can get FTM 2014 from Canada for £25 what do people on here think. is it different from the version sold in the UK.

I think that the answer will be no, because it will be from the same company. I had a quick look around and it seems that the new owners of FTM are selling through some of the other well known online sales sites that Ancestry used to see through and which could result in some very good deals. I suspect that the UK price may include a sub to Ancestry but I am not sure.

Starting to feel at home

The new FTM £84.90 inc pp if you want an installation disc, am going for Roots Magic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast