Default Henry McIlroy 1919-1975

I am looking for information on my grandfather

Henry McIlroy born Paisley Scotland in 1919.

He served in WW2. My mum thinks as an ambulance driver. What service did drivers come under.

The hints say to apply for information you need to apply on a service specific form.

Henry was demobbed in 1946.

I have found his brother (great uncle sammy). Samuel McIlroy 1917-1942 on war forces records.

Henry McIlroy married Grace Higgins in Paisley 1937.
    Henry (with wife and 3 children) sailed to Australia in 1950.

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi Heather

You will only get information on him by applying for his records from MOD, as you mentioned above.
    If you need his birth date- the record will be on Scotlandpeople, as will their marriage. Records on Ancestry for him too.
    Ambulance drivers- I would think they would be in each service, but probably army, do you have any pictures, medals, badges etc for him?
    Samuel also here - https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/ca...LROY,%20SAMUEL

regards

Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

Thank you Robert.

I have only this.

Unfortunately it is Henry on the right who's uniform is lost.

I have been caught out by the arrogance of thinking your parents will always be there. Early in her dementia mum burted that her brother when cleaning out Henry's flat after his death in 1975 threw out his medals.

I had never given much thought to my grandfather having been a serviceman. He died the August and I was born in December.

Mum was born in Paisley in 1938. The family spent the war years in Glasgow with Granda.

Heather, are you only interested in his military history? You can find out a lot more by (if you haven't done it) looking into his civilian family history.
    If that interests you, there's a collection of messages on how to do scottish genealogy at the top of the General Scottish forum HERE

For example, the CWGC site gives Samuel's parents as James & Margaret Black Paterson McIlroy of Paisley. A quick look at the free search area of Scotlands People shows that James McIlroy married Margaret Black Paterson in 1904 in Renfrew. If you pay them 6 credits, you can get the marriage certificate which will give you both sets of parents, occupations, ages, etc.

Hi Lesley

I have not yet decided how far down the rabbit hole I am going to fall.

Mum had always said her father was number 7 of 11 so that is a lot just in that generation. Though mum never named her aunts and uncles I had thought it was 9 boys and 2 girls. In a quick look on scotlands people showed 3 girls born in Paisley between 1900 and 1930 with Paterson or Paters as their middle name. So likely candidates.

When mum left Scotland in 1950 she was one of 40 Margaret's in the family.

At this stage I think Henry's war service is my focus.

I have recently learnt that my cousins that are 10-15 years older than me never met him either.

I am guessing at PTSD which normal service in a war could cause but do wonder if there is a greater cause to his exclusion from the family.

The quick peak I have made it has been interesting to see that James is also important on my maternal Line. It appears in every generation of my paternal line.

Thank you for your response and advice.

Regards

Heather

I have found the original photo with details on the back.

Knowledgeable and helpful

If you google "Royal Pioneer Corps" you will get a wikipedia entry which will explain the unit indicated on the back of the photograph. pwholt

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

You have his service number 13109633 and it shows he enlisted in (Royal) Pioneer Corps 13000001 - 14000000
    Makes it easy to apply for his records.

regards

Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.