Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default John Wilson and Sarah Hannay

Hi Everyone, I was hoping some clever person on this site may be able to help me with a family that I am researching.
    John Wilson married Sarah Hannay and they had a son John George Hannay Wilson. His father was a surgeon with the Bangor South Down Militia. I found this information in the British newspapers. J.G.H Wilson eventually settled in Australia and took up many pastoral properties. The last carers of the descendants have left me with all their historical records and ledgers of their Queensland properties. I am talking to my local council about preserving the documents.
    Would appreciate any help.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

An idea of the years involved would be good.
    Also, can you be more specific about places? Wilson is a very common name.

What exactly do you want to know? It's a waste of everyone's time for me to spend half an hour finding the birthdate of John George Hannay Wilson if you already know that detail.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

This may be the "British papers'" source

Sep 21, in St Stephen's Church, Toowcoomba, Queensland, by the Rev. Dr. Wilson, John George Hannay Wilson, only son of the late John Wilson, Esq, M.D, of Bangor, Surgeon, of the South Down Militia to Maria Moreau, eldest daughter of the late James Beattie, Esq, Sydney, New South Wales
    (Belfast Morning News, 30 Dec 1867)
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Pam, thank you very much for replying. I am afraid I don't know the birth date and I have come to a halt with J.G.H Wilson's parents, John and Sarah. The only reason I know his parent's names is because I found them in a British newspaper. I also know that John George Hannay Wilson married Maria Moreau the eldest daughter of James Beattie in Australia, Queensland, Toowoomba on September 21st 1867.
    I would really love to find out his parents background. I am presuming they were in India with the Banglor South Down Militia, but I could be wrong.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Pam, I sent a reply but I can't see it. I hope it got through.

DEATHS - In Bangor, John Wilson, Esq, aged 66 years, Surgeon to the Royal South Down Militia
    (Limerick & Clare Examiner, Wed 22 Aug 1854)

Sarah Hannay, aged 59 years, relict of John Wilson, late Surgeon, South Down Militia, was buried in the Church yard, Bangor on 31st Dec 1855

Sarah Haliday (sic) Wilson, only daughter late John Wilson, South Down Militia married Frederick Toulmain Dod at Lurgan Presbyterian Church 13 Nov 1861

Irish Civil Records (Irish Genealogy on line)
    Fredrick T Dod
    Sarah Hannay Wilson
    Registration District - Lurgan
    Returns Year 1861
    Returns Qtr 1
    Vol No. 7
    Page 565

(image on line not available)

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawsie View Post
    Hi Pam, I sent a reply but I can't see it. I hope it got through.
    I presume you're referring to post number 4, which you should now be able to see.

Meanwhile, to helachau -

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Dundee10

This looks like John and Maria in London in 1881. Kathleen's birth was registered at Kensington in the Dec quarter 1878, mother's maiden surname BEATTY, and she was baptised in 1879 at St Paul, Kensington.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q273-SCFD