Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No headstone

Default No headstone

Hello,

I've been researching my mother's side of the family for several months now, and it has been proving rather difficult. I'm looking for my great grandparents Elizabeth and William Williams, however, my mum never met them and her own father ( Elizabeth and Williams's son) never really spoke about them, so I've had very little info to go on.

I've been very lucky in finding photographs and I've found some interesting stories. The history of Elizabeth and William is very sad and I wanted to lay some flowers on their grave and tidy it up a bit.

So, I tracked down the place of burial through Landican and Birkenhead archives (I received the plot number etc from them), however, my partner and I looked for hours for the grave, and we couldn't find anything.

I phoned Landican to make sure the plot number ect was correct, which they said it was. So, we went back a 2nd time. Where their grave should be is just a patch of grass. There's no headstone, no stone, nothing to indicate that there ever was anything there.

Does anyone have any ideas on what could have happened to it? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated- I was disappointed to find nothing there.
    Last edited by Hannah90; 28-11-2016 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Spelling

thewideeyedowl

Quote Originally Posted by Hannah90 View Post
    Where their grave should be is just a patch of grass. There's no headstone, no stone, nothing to indicate that there ever was anything there........ I was disappointed to find nothing there.
    There may never have been a headstone. Any sort of memorial would have had to be paid for by the family. They may not have been able to afford a headstone? I know how disappointing it can be - but that's that, I'm afraid.

But there may well be other possibilities too - someone is bound to be along soon to enlighten us.

Owl

Thanks owl.

Elizabeth and William had 10 children- I thought they would have been able to pay for it. But I think you're right. Do you think Landican would be able to tell me if there ever was a headstone?

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

My family have been buried in the same graveyard since the 1560's, and there is only one gravestone that bears the family name, and that is in 2005. I have all the plots identified, due to the fact of the church's grave map. Obviously, some of these will not be that accurate, or the evidence exist anymore.
    Any reason you can think of why there is no gravestone, will possibly be correct.

Steve.
    Too many bones, too much sorrow, but until I am dead, there's always tomorrow.

Thanks very much for the help Steve.

Slightly disappointed that there isn't a headstone. But like my nan and mum always say-there are other ways of keeping their memory alive- At least I have photographs etc. Not everyone is lucky enough to have photographs of their great-grandparents. So I should be grateful for that.

Kiltpin

In Norfolk, it is not unknown for headstones to sink vertically in their own profile. Most of the older sandstone ones were made with an extra foot of length at the bottom, but no plinth. Once erected, gravity started to work and we have a lot of sandy soil here. Once they start to move ...

They could, of course, have had a wooden cross rather than a headstone. Especially, if those left behind were expecting that there would be a second occupant in the near future.

Depending on the local practices, a fallen stone could have been propped up against the churchyard wall, or the church itself, well away from the grave.

Just a thought or two.

Regards

Kiltpin

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

My 2xGt Grandfather was buried in 1876, and his burial plot was determined as quite accurate, down to a few feet either way. Outside the front door of the church was his plot, about 20 feet away
    There was one problem though, there is now a thumping great pine tree over his grave. I wasn't allowed to have a Dendrochronology check done, but going by the girth of the tree, it was guestimated to be 120 years old.

So perhaps some well meaning relative, planted a sapling on his grave, but I'll never know.
    Too many bones, too much sorrow, but until I am dead, there's always tomorrow.

Headstones were expensive things. A lot of people didn't have one.....

If you have identified the plot, there's no reason not to leave flowers even if there isn't a stone...

I did that Lesley . Their son died in WWII-though they never knew what happened to him. I found out a few weeks back what happened to their son. So I went to the cemetery on the 11th and planted some flowers.

I'll visit the cemetery again and arrange someone to meet me where the grave is meant to be. Maybe they can offer some further info. Thanks gain for the help everyone. I'm new to the site and everyone is so helpful and nice. I really appreciate all the help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast