Thread: Net Police

Settling in

Default Net Police

In the 1939 Register an ancestor is down as living in Aylesbury and Net Police Retired. I have looked at the register for Metropolitan Police Officers and he does not appear there, likewise I have looked at a register for Buckinghamshire Police and he does not appear there either. Any suggestions as to what else Net Police could mean? His name was Harry Bull. Thanks in advance.

Very quick off the mark.

Nearly at the bottom of the page the surname MONKHOUSE appears. The M is written the same way as at the beginning of the Harry Bull's occupation, so I would think it is Met. Police.

Ken_R

In 1911 there is a [transcribed as] Harry Ball, b.1886, Police Constable, lodging at 4 Mostyn Row, Bow E[ast?]

I've still not got my around these 1911 references - RN 22 Piece 1664 ED 14.

Dundee10

Have you looked at both of these?

Harry Bull, warrant number 98805. Joined on 8 Aug 1910, and left on 11 Aug 1935. Last posted to K Division as a PC.

Harry Bull, warrant number 95126. Joined on 11 Nov 1907, and left on 13 Nov 1932. Last posted to M Division as a PC.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_R View Post
    In 1911 there is a [transcribed as] Harry Ball, b.1886, Police Constable, lodging at 4 Mostyn Row, Bow E[ast?]

I've still not got my around these 1911 references - RN 22 Piece 1664 ED 14.
    Ken, the 'parts' of the reference which you want for the 1911 census are:

The 'year' reference which is preceded by RG, just like the census from 1861 onwards, so for 1911 you need RG14.

Next comes the piece number (again as in previous census) - that's the numbers preceded by the letters PN, which come immediately after the RG14.

Finally you have the schedule number which is the last number in the reference, preceded by SN.

So for Harry [transcribed as]Ball (though looking at the U in the name immediately above Harry's I would reckon it should be Bull) the reference number would be RG14 PN1664 SN319, which you can also write as RG14/1664 SN319.

You only get the 'long version' given on FMP. e.g. RG14PN1066 RG78PN21 RD22 SD7 ED14 SN123

The RG78 and the PN number which immediately follows are references to the enumerator's schedule. RD is the registration district; SD the subdistrict of the registration district; and ED the enumeration district.

TNA guide - scroll down to section 5.
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/h...ensus-records/

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”