Starting to feel at home

Default Warcop/Stainmore/Rakestraw

One of my grandfather's, Rev'd Charles Benjamin Holland, was Vicar of Stainmore, 1931-35. My other grandfather, Frederick Hollis, was Headteacher of Warcop School around the same time. The Hollis family later lived at Rakestraw, near South Stainmore.

I am anxious to find any information about these people and their lives during that time. I am especially anxious to find old photos (if any exist) of the Vicarage at South Stainmore, Rakestraw, and Warcop School. I have one old school photo from Warcop School showing my grandfather, and with my Uncle Edwin and Aunt Marjorie as students in the photo.

Also, information about Westmoreland Grammar School. (Possibly this was the same as Kirkby Stephen Grammar School?)

Does anyone know where the Archives (e.g. old photos, school admission registers, etc) for any of these institutions may be accessed?

Since I'm on the other side of the world (Wellington, New Zealand) accessing information is often difficult, so any help would be appreciated!

Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar

According to Genuki,Warcop,South Stainmore and Kirkby Stephen are in Westmorland.
    Suggest you contact the church and school direct via email.

Brick wall demolition expert!

There is a local newspaper called the Westmoreland Gazette which might be useful place to contact with a letter to readers:

https://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co.uk/aboutus/

You could also try the Cumbria County Council Archives (that's the current name of local authority) - https://www.cumbria.gov.uk/archives/a...entres/kac.asp

Growing old Disgracefully

A Goggle for Vicarage at South Stainmore, Rakestraw, came up with

Parishes (East Ward): St Michael, Brough | British History Online
    https://www.british-history.ac.uk/n-w.../vol8/pp94-109

You will find info for both Churches in South and North Stainmore and School.

Quote Originally Posted by sharples44 View Post
    I am anxious to find any information about these people and their lives during that time (my highlighting)
    Re. the Rev Holland is it simply the period 1931-1935 that interests you? ie. between his leaving Kenninghall (Norfolk) and moving to St. Oswald's, Knuzden (Blackburn).
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Recommend you contact Cumbria FHSoc
    https://
    cumbriafhs.com/cgi-bin/cumbria/main.pl

Researchers of the area are very knowledgeable of the where abouts of records etc

The map in the magazine indicates that they cover Warcop / Stainmore

Have a look at Crockfords Clerical Directory this is an annual issue bio. for info related to the clergy, some copies have been digitalize by ancestry

Starting to feel at home

Thanks helachau. Yes, my main interest is in those years, because my father was living with the Rev'd C.B. Holland in those years. I am really trying to find out what my father was doing at that time! He was supposedly a student at Selwyn College, Cambridge, and later at Bishop Wilson Theological College on the Isle of Man. I have one photograph showing my father at Rakestraw with members of the Hollis family (he later married my mother, Bessie Hollis), but I'm trying to find out more about their livfe and circumstances in those years!