unitedsound

Default HLI actions during 1901-1902

Can anyone direct me to information regards the Highland Light Infantry after 1900?

A friend's GGF was in SA until January 1903 but I can't find anything beyond 1900 on the HLI or the Highland Brigade.

Was this because it had now become a guerrilla war?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi unitedsound,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

Does your friend have their GGF's service record? If so, it would help if you could give us their name (and service number if available) so we can see the record for ourselves. Sometimes our military gurus can spot things that 'laymen' (like me!) miss. They're also very good at finding obscure stuff via search engines.

I can't find much - just a relatively short paragraph on wikipedia about the Highland Brigade (the HLI being one of the units which formed the brigade) in the Boer War. https://
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highland_Brigade_(United_Kingdom)#Second_Boer_War
    with even less regarding the Highland Light Infantry itself.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

unitedsound

Thanks for responding Pam.

I found the service record on FMP.

His name was Pte Joseph McMillan, service number 6711.

He signed up at Hamilton in 1898 and left the service in 1915 after being wounded at St Julian on 17th May 1915 (2nd Ypres).

Arthur Conan Doyle's book on the 2nd Boer War is excellent but stops at December 1900 when the big battles were coming to an end and guerrilla warfare was taking over for the next two years.
    Regards
    David
    Last edited by unitedsound; 11-12-2016 at 2:17 PM. Reason: Added final paragraph

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi David,

You could try the RHF Museum in Sauchiehall Street. They seem to have some appropriate records for the HLI.

As well as Battalion History's (sic) we hold Regimental History's (sic), which gives a larger overview of what the Regiment was doing at a particular time, but rarely mention a man by name.

https://rhf.
    org.uk/rhf/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=66&It emid=80

Peter

Have seen references to the Highland Light Infantry spending the latter part of the campaign in Aliwal North eg
    https://www.boer-war.com/Military/Bri...tInfantry.html

There are a couple of newspaper references to a skirmish in May 1901 in the Brandfort district. Boer casualties - 12 killed, 13 wounded, 12 captured.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

unitedsound

Many thanks to all who responded.