Loves to help with queries

Default Norman Ancestry on Paper

Please can anyone point me in the right direction

I have used TNA early modern and medieval documents to trace my patrionic surname back to a French family in Hampshire England. This has taken several years.
    I want to attempt a DNA matching to back up my paper trail. The surname that my modern surname is evolved from is fairly frequent in Normandy today.
    I am thinking that a DNA comparison of mine and a living Lancelevee would be the way to go.
    I don't know anyone personally. How to approach this !?

Starting to feel at home

Dna can be done through ancestry where there is an offer currently.

Starting to feel at home

I agree that a DNA comparison between yourself and another person with the same surname would be the way forward and you would need to do a Y test, which I don't believe Ancestry offer. FTDNA does Y testing, and you can also upload results to "Y Search" which widens the pool of matches.

With a very uncommon surname there may not currently be any other people with that surname tested who you can be matched against. My husband is in a similar situation and has been waiting for 5 years in hopes that somebody who matches closely with him will turn up. I'm getting to the stage of thinking the only answer is to approach somebody (in my husband's case it would be a complete stranger in The Netherlands) with the relevant surname and possibly offer to pay for them to be tested, which does seem a little extreme! I have been toying with the idea of using Facebook as a connection point, but don't want to look like a crazy stalker to someone who probably has no interest in genealogy or any knowledge of genetic genealogy.

Deeny

Loves to help with queries

How helpful thank you.
    I tried approaching one of the many Lancelevee folk in Normandy ( Haute Maritime )without even a reply, through LinkdIn.To find anyone who has any personal interest,perhaps joining a French geneaology forum of people seeking surname-Ydna roots is the way forward?
    My surname Lansley evolved (with 3-4 intermediates) from Lancelevee and the family were hospitallers in Hampshire, the earliest record being Radulfus Lancelevee who owned land in around 1190 near Southampton and Falaise.
    Does anyone know of a French " DNA club" for genealogy purposes?
    Knowing my own y-DNA analysis alone won't get me anywhere - I think I need a comparison with the aim of getting a match.