Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    nikkastar

Default Jacob Levy disappears after 1830

My ancestor, Jacob Levy, lived in London and was married to an Elizabeth (maiden name unknown). Elizabeth is listed as a widow on the 1841 British census. Their daughter, Milcah, (known to us as Amelia)was my great-great-grandmother. Their other children were Lewis, Joseph, Guldah, and David.
    I would really like to know more about this family.

Hi
    Just to put a time to your Jacob for those wishing to help.

Refer to this thread posts 140, 141, 142 and 143.

So born c1876/78 in England.

I have also moved the thread to the Jewish Roots forum with the title Jacob Levy disappears after 1830.

Good luck with it,

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

nikkastar

Thanks so much, Christina!

I am estimating that Jacob Levy was born around 1766/1767.

Loves to help with queries

Can you confirm the records from which you found the above information, as you will appreciate Jacob Levy is a very common name.
    But here is a longshot which could be wrong
    https://synagoguescribes.com/blog/per...ls/?value=1145
    k

Anne, Kevin and for other Jacobs relatives- as a very brief re-cap there is significant data on the Jacob/Elizabeth Levy lines written by myself and other Jacobs cousins. This data includes records with sources- see jacobstree.co.uk which is a website set up several years ago by Dave Simpson as part of detailed research into our lines. Anne - see article I wrote with Dave in 2011 on the Levy Family which contains the specific records and sources on the Jacob/Elizabeth Levy lines. In addition, I wrote on this forum about some of the children of Jacob and Elizabeth.
    The Will of Elizabeth Levy suggests Jacob was dead circa 1827.
    Anne please take a close look at the Jacobstree data and the 2011 article and let me know if there is any missing data ( we don't know when Jacob died or what the cause of death was nor do we know the maiden name of Elizabeth. Did you see the specific BG posts on the children?
    Phillip

Anne
    See BG Forum thread Louis Norton 1798-1853-Solicitor first post 7.11.2013- this post provides data on Elizabeth wife of Joseph Levy eldest son of Elizabeth/Jacob. Elizabeth married Louis Norton on the death of Joseph.
    I think I also wrote about David Levy son of Elizabeth/Jacob and there maybe other posts which I have forgotten.
    Phillip

Default DAVID LEVY-CATHERINE DAVIDS

Anne
    I am going to post a series of data on David Levy son of Elizabeth and Jacob.David married Catherine Davids.
    The Law Times June 14,1845 Petitions for Insolvent Debtors- D Levy tailor Hemming's Row. JewishGen Insurance Policies shows- David Levy clothes salesman 14 Hemming's Row St.Martins Lane 28.2.1842- Elizabeth Levy lodger; Benjamin and Catherine Levy at same address; David Levy Naval and Military outfitter 14 Hemming's Row 28.07.1842-4.9 1844. Elizabeth Levy is the mother of David- Mrs Elizabeth Levy 14 Hemming's Row Masquerade warehouse The Standard Friday March 17, 1837; Elizabeth Levy saleswoman 14 Hemming's Row St Martins Lane 24.7 1827. Benjamin Levy is the son of David and Catherine- Benjamin Levy cigar manufacturer 14 Hemming's Row St Martins Lane 21.7. 1852.
    Between 1844-1848 David Levy had died- Catherine Levy naval and military tailor and tobacconist 14 Hemming's Row St Martins Lane 6.12.1848.11.6.1851
    Here is census data from 1841 showing Catherine Levy with her children and mother in law Elizabeth-
    1841 HO 107 740 2 12 16 4 (Copyright TNA)
    Hemming's Row
    Elizabeth Levy 75 Indep b in county
    David Levy 40 tailor b in county
    Catherine Levy 35
    Jacob Levy 15
    Benjamin 15
    Rachel Levy 14
    Joseph Levy 12
    Amelia Levy 8
    Guldah Levy 4
    Nathan Levy 2
    Sarah Levy 3 months
    +2 servants
    Nb All above born in county

1851 HO107 1482 201 7 (Copyright TNA)
    14 Hemming's Row St Martins in the Fields
    Catherine Levy widow 47 Supported by son b St Martins in the Field
    Benjamin son u 25 Cigar Manufacturer
    Rachel dau u 24 needle woman
    Joseph son u 22 warehouseman
    Amelia dau u 17
    Guldah dau 13
    Nathan son 12 cigar maker
    Sarah dau 10 scholar
    Deborah dau 2
    Phillis Sloman visitor u 19 needlewoman b Newington Causeway

Nb All above children born St. Martins in the Fields

1861 RG9 58 58 1 (Copyright TNA)
    14 Hemming's Row Westminster St Martins in the Fields Middx
    Catherine Levy H widow 57 tobacconist b London
    Benjamin B son u 35 warehouseman
    Nathan N son ub 22 warehouseman
    Guldah dau u 24 seamstress
    Sarah dau u 20 Assistant in Fancy Trade
    Elizabeth u dau 17 teacher
    Deborah dau 12
    Sarah P Levy servant u 40
    Nb all above born London

More data to follow.
    Phillip

1871 Census RG10 353 57 4 (Copyright TNA)
    14 Hemming's Row St Martins in the Fields Westminster London
    Catherine Levy H Widow 67 out of business b St Martins
    Elizabeth dau u 27 Governess b St Martins
    Deborah dau u 22
    + 1 servant

The Jewish Victorian. Genealogical Information from the Jewish Newspapers 1871-1880 transcribed and edited by Doreen Berger 1999 Publisher Robert Boyd
    Death 23.6. 1879
    Mrs C LEVY relict of the late David Levy of 14 Hemming's Row Leicester Square Aged 76- this record is linked to Deborah Levy daughter; Lizzie Levy daughter; Samuel BARNARD son in law; Ann DAVIDS sister; Moss DAVIDS brother; Charles BARNARD son in law- Marriage 5.5.1874 at 14 Grafton Street New Bond Street Charles BARNARD son of D Barnard Esq of Chatham, to Deborah youngest daughter of the late David LEVY of 14 Hemming's Row.
    Death Chatham 91 High Street 28.11.1879 Daniel Barnard after a severe and painful illness aged 54 brother of Mr H B Barnard of 33 Bedford Place ( the record gives further age of 57 at death and details of his burial -Chatham Memorial Synagogue Cemetery- links to Hannah LYONS sister; Louisa Barnard mother;A Lyons brother in law;Samuel Barnard son;Charles Barnard son; Deborah Levy daughter in law; Samuel Barnard father
    Phillip

The following record shows the marriage of Elizabeth aka Lizzie Levy to Samuel Barnard ( Samuel being the brother of Charles who married Deborah Levy- Levy sisters marrying 2 Barnard brothers)
    From Berger 1871-80 volume ( see full reference in previous post)-Marriage 5.5. 1874 ( this is double marriage of the sisters/brothers) 14 Grafton Street New Bond Street Samuel BARNARD eldest son of D Barnard Esq of Chatham to Lizzie daughter of the late David Levy of 14 Hemmings Row
    The record shows the births of 2 daughters and 2 sons between 1875-1879 at 23 Court Street Faversham
    Phillip

nikkastar

Smile

Hi, Phillip! I do have extensive knowledge on Elizabeth Levy and her children already thanks to you and David. I am really just trying to find out more about Jacob, the father, because so little is known about him. I am also interested to find out Elizabeth's maiden name but I know both these things are a long shot to find. Of course, this makes it all the more interesting for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast