Lightbulb Durham Light Infantry

Does any one know why I cannot find anything to do with my father Thomas Frederick Steer and his brother Jack (John) Steer who were in the DLI 1941 to 1945. I have photos of both in uniform and know dad was in North Africa. Will I have to try the MOD in Glasgow as a last resort. Any help much appreciated.

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

Sorry MOD is your first resort!! Unless they died or were awarded a gallantry award or were officers, nothing else is online, all at MOD.
    Once you know what Battalion they were in, then you can look for war diaries at NA.

regards

Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

Thank you for advising me. I know what I have to do now many thanks

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums Brickwall 2016.
    It is as Robert says, you have to apply to the MoD for service records 1921 onwards. This 'sticky" explains and gives links to download the application forms. You will need 30 pounds and a death certificate and patience as they may take a while to be delivered.

If you came to us from Forces War Records reading This will tell you a little about we do here at Brit-Gen.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Thank you for that . Application is in the post as we speak. And yes I did come through from fwr. Thank you very much.

Hi! I'm new to this forum and saw your enquiry. My dad was in the Cameronians, Scottish Rifles, Light Infantry and served with the DLI in India, Singapore and Malaya. You might find info. by typing in Durham Light Infantry(1941-1945).I found this helpful when I was looking for what my dad was doing in the Far East.If you have any info. on Thomas and Jack such as their regimental numbers that would be helpful.I know that later in the war the infantry did guard duty. My dad guarded Japanese prisoners at various camps and at Changi Jail. He also did ceremonial guard duty for Mountbatten and General Stopford.You might find that your dad and uncle did similar duties as the DLI and Cameronians worked together a lot and also with the Ghurkas.I hope you find more info. soon! Sue.