Thread: Reginald Nash

Default Reginald Nash

I recently purchased a Somme 100 Poppy Pin from the RBL Poppy Shop. It remembers Private 14182 Reginald Nash of the 7th Battalion of the Northamptonshire Regiment. He sadly lost his life on Friday 18th August 1916.
    It's ignited my interest into who was Reginald. I have found out some early details of his life. He was born about 1887 in Fulford, York, Yorkshire. I also found out that he enlisted in Stratford.
    What I would be interested in is how did he end up in the Northamptonshire Regiment since he was from Yorkshire and enlisted in a town that was at the time in Essex? I'd also love to know about his early military career and how he came to lose his life and where. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Baldy

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum. I suspect that you found us view the FWR page, in which case you might find the message HERE useful.

Over 2/3 of the WW1 service records were destroyed by fire in WW2, and Pte Nash's don't seem to have survived.
    His medal card has survived.it shows that in addition to the Victory & British medals, he had the 15Star having reached France on 1 Sep 1915.
    The CWGC site HERE shows that he is one of the thousands whose grave has not been identified and he's listed on the Thiepval Memorial. It's worth a look as the site gives info about the battles surrounding Thiepval.

You could look for the the War Diaries of his regiment. They tend not to name the Other Ranks, but you will at least find out what they were doing in the middle of August.
    You could also look for him on the census and find out about his family (be careful, genealogical research can be addictive). I think I've found him in 1891 with his parents, William & Mary, 2 sisters & brother. Dad was a gardener.

After the war started, and they started losing men fast, there was little choice in which regiment they went to - it was all decided by whiuch regiment needed men most.

Reputation beyond repute

how did he end up in the Northamptonshire Regiment since he was from Yorkshire
    Men were put where they were needed.

... and enlisted in a town that was at the time in Essex?
    Because he was living in Essex. See the 1911 census.

I'd also love to know about his early military career
    I shouldn't think there was much of an early military career.

See the Long, Long Trail for an overview of the battalion

"7th (Service) Battalion

Formed at Northampton in September 1914 as part of K3 and came under command of 73rd Brigade in 24th Division. Moved to the South Downs and into billets in Southwick between November 1914 and April 1915. Moved on to Woking in June 1915. 2 September 1915 : landed at Boulogne."

...and how he came to lose his life and where.
    You can download the battalion war diary from the National Archives. You'll then be able to work out what the battalion was doing on the day he died.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/C7353323

Thanks a lot for your replies Lesley and Peter.
    Looks like I have some work to do, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.