Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Uniform

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Uniform

Hi, can anybody identify this uniform for me. My grandfather was born 1892 in Coventry UK
    Last edited by Wellfield1870; 13-11-2016 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Cannot post picture ��

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Photo has posted at last. My grandfather born in Coventry UK in 1892. Does anybody recognise the uniform. thanks

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums
    If you came to us fromForces War Records reading This will tell you a little about us.

I can't help in identifying the uniform but if you would like to give us your grandfather's name, parents, (wife if married during WW1) we could take a look to see if anything can be found for him.
    Unfortunately 60% plus of WW1 service records were destroyed in WW11 so it is a very lucky person who finds their ancestors records. What do survive are the medal Roll Index cards and the Award and Medal records BUT these only have any personal information in very rare instances. So if an ancestor has a very common name it can be very difficult doing a positive identification.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

HI

Probably WW1 uniform, the cap badge and shoulder badges would give the answer, can they be made clearer and bigger?
    Have a look here for the cap badge - https://www.wartimememoriesproject.co...badgeindex.php
    regards

Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

Reputation beyond repute

Looks like Artillery to me. What was his name? It's best to work from the documents.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

My grandfathers name was Arthur George Taylor and he was born in 1892 in Coventry. Warwickshire. Thanks

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Arthur George Taylor born 1892 in Coventry. Unfortunately I cannot read the badges �� Thanks

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

Looks like he might be Private 23332 Arthur G Taylor, an Hussar. This chap's Medal Card is available to download from The National Archives (£3.45). Possibly 11th, 13th, or 13th-18th, but you need an expert on cap badges.
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

Hi
    So Arthur was the son of William Taylor and Margaret. He was with them in 1901 census but he and his brother Albert were living with his sister Gertrude and her husband David Ward in 1911.

I looked this up because there are a couple of surviving service records with this name but one's father is James Dixon Taylor and the other was born and living in Worcestershire. So you can discount two men with the service numbers 28473 and 2144
    The man with service number 28473 also has the numbers 3(?)/30694 and 23958 at the top of his first record page and 'Duplicate' written above them.

There are 33 Arthur George Taylors in the Service Medal and Award rolls plus 9 George Arthurs and 1 Arthur William George Taylor so identifying the uniform would help.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Quote Originally Posted by peter nicholl View Post
    Looks like he might be Private 23332 Arthur G Taylor, an Hussar. This chap's Medal Card is available to download from The National Archives (£3.45). Possibly 11th, 13th, or 13th-18th, but you need an expert on cap badges.
    Hello Peter
    I can't get ancestry to give me a Taylor with the service number 23332 in the Medal cards or the Medal and Award Records. What am I doing wrong:
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast