Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    #29 - I'm slightly confused now. Does the "old style" 'certified copy' contain any additional information to the 'register entry' ?
    No.

Its just in colour.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    #29 - I'm slightly confused now. Does the "old style" 'certified copy' contain any additional information to the 'register entry' ?
    In some cases minor marginal entries will be omitted and in all cases the headers & footers which contain the words certified copy are omitted.
    In most cases however to all intents and purposes they will contain the same information.

Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Hi

As Guy in #32 has said, you do get the info you want but just not on a 'certificate'.

They tell you what registration district it is and then the relevant columns of info you want from them.
    But you don't get anything that appears on the certificate underneath, ie "Certified to be a true copy of an entry..... etc, etc, the date they produced the copy or their stamp. And it's black and white.

Not quite so pretty and instantly recognisable as a birth or death certificate on first sight! (Red = Birth, Black = Death)

Hey, ho!

Sue

Ken_R

Quote Originally Posted by SueP View Post

I found the being able to search for mother's maiden name right back to 1837 great,
    Likewise. I've been watching the development but hadn't got around to registering before today. Even that was complicated because SWMBO had previously registered under the 'old system' some years ago, which caused slight confusion.

Using the MMN listing has enabled me to 'firm up' marriages that I thought were correct, but couldn't be absolutely sure and, in one instance evidenced that I'd got one totally wrong. However, from a couple of the MMN entries I was then able to identify the correct marriage and view it on the Shropshire collection on FMP.

Additionally, what I have noticed is that sometimes the GRO Vol/Page is different to that on FreeBMD/Ancestry. When I have then looked at the original [on FreeBMD], it is the GRO reference that is correct. Perhaps something to bear in mind when ordering Certificates/Copies.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Peter Calver reports in his latest Lost Cousins newsletter that the GRO are meeting with user representatives on 15th and 18th September 2017, to discuss latest developments.

https://
    https://www.lostcousins.com/newslette...17news.htm#GRO

Peter

Famous for offering help & advice

Another interesting one. Just received a Death Certificate from a relative and wanted to add a postem to freebmd. The deaths for Q2 1838 Mary COOPER has two possible entries at 'Ashborne(sic)', so I referred to the GRO site. Searching under 'Ashbourne' - produced nothing. The correct entry was found by searching all Mary COOPER deaths in that quarter - the registration district is listed as 'Derby'. This is the second time I have come across a fault with 'Ashborne' - can I presume it was logged as Derby as the relevant 'county' as the old spelling of Ashbourne isn't in the lists on the GRO site....

Reputation beyond repute

It is possible to work out which is the correct entry in FreeBMD by using FreeBMD's additional facilities.

One entry is italicised which means there's something suspicious about it. A quick glance at the original images associated with the two entries shows that the second entry was transcribed from a very poor scan. The first entry was transcribed from a much more legible scan and clearly shows that the one and only death of a Mary Cooper in Ashbo(u)rne was the one at Vol 19 Page 277.

Have you reported the anomaly to GRO?

Yes I'd presumed that was the entry Peter but wanted to double check it first with the other index.
    I have though just made a startling discovery. The death certificate itself states:
    Registration District: Derby
    Sub registration district: Brassington.

Brassington is a sub district of Ashborne Reg Dist so something seriously amiss! Interesting.....

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

The death certificate the GRO send is (allegedly) a copy of what the local registrar sent to the GRO.
    Think I would contact the local registrar's office in both Ashbourne and Derby to see which one of them holds the original and to see if they can offer any explanation. You've got the full details - date, name, register entry number, etc - so it's not as if you're asking them to give you any free infornation.
    https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/civ...RegOffice2#390

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Weirdly in all these years of genealogy I've only ever had one noticeable query. A relative was issued a Birth Certificate by Ashbourne Office itself with year of birth '1839' on it. A letter to Ashbourne Office prompted a return phone call and an apology confirming the child was born on New Years Day 1838 and not 11 and a half months after his Baptism

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast