Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Reputation beyond repute

Registration District: Derby
    Sub registration district: Brassington.
    I believe that reflects the way in which the data has been filed or misfiled by GRO.

The ties in with the way the original index was correct but the new index is wrong.

I've seen something similar (although geographically somewhat weirder) where an event in South Molton (Devon) was wrongly shown on the certificate as Southampton.

Famous for offering help & advice

Megan Roberts states at the beginning of this thread that the Birth Index runs 1837-1915. I have just noticed it is now 1837-1918. I don't know when this extension happened but I had certainly overlooked it! Anyone else?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch in Notts View Post
    Megan Roberts states at the beginning of this thread that the Birth Index runs 1837-1915. I have just noticed it is now 1837-1918. I don't know when this extension happened but I had certainly overlooked it! Anyone else?
    The extension to 1918 would have happened at the beginning of this year. And it's due to extend by a year, each year, for some time. I can't remember the final year, but the new index probably goes as far as 1957, i.e. same as the deaths.
    I didn't know about the extra years until Megan made a post earlier this year and when she wrote '1918' I thought she'd made a typo, but fortunately managed to save myself half a dozen eggs on my face by checking the Index before posting a correction.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Thanks Pam, I hadn't realised about the fact it had already been created to 1957 just not put online. Presumably they are working on the 100 year rule which seems a bit daft when the same information is available elsewhere online, both paid for and freebmd!

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch in Notts View Post
    Thanks Pam, I hadn't realised about the fact it had already been created to 1957 just not put online. Presumably they are working on the 100 year rule which seems a bit daft when the same information is available elsewhere online, both paid for and freebmd!
    Don't quote me re 1957, MItch. I did say 'probably'.

I've added a note to Megan's post #2 re the years covered on the birth index now extended to 1918.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

I will be checking back in 2058 to see if they've added 1957 Pam

Knowledgeable and helpful

DoVE (Digitisation of Vital Events) is/was the project to digitise and index birth, death and marriage records for England and Wales from 1837 to 2006.

EAGLE (Electronic Access to GRO Legacy Events) is/was the system to handle certificate applications using the digitised records.

MAGPIE (MultiAccess to GRO Public Index of Events) is/was the project to index the digitised records.

Unfortunately the GRO spent so much energy thinking up catchy acronyms that there were no resources left to actually carry out the projects.

The DoVE projects digitised Birth records from 1837 to 1934 and Death records from 1837 to 1957 (no marriage records) before fell out of the sky exhausted in September 2000 and was shot in 2011.
    As far as I know the indexing of the above digital records still has not been completed, but if you offer the estimated 25 to 30 million pounds to the GRO to pay for the digitising and indexing to be completed I am sure they would accept the offer.

However the initial Pilot scheme for the digital records offered the following
    “The pilot is in 3 phases, starting with our digitised records:
    Births: 1837 – 1934 and 2007 on
    Deaths: 1837 – 1957 and 2007 on
    Marriages: 2011 on
    Civil Partnerships: 2005 on”
    It would be perfectly possible for the GRO to offer digital copies of births and deaths from 2007 forwards and marriages from 2011 forwards but their office policy prevents this taking place.

Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345