Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by elsinore View Post
    Snap!

I've just received a death certificate pdf (which I ordered last Wednesday) only to find the age at death was 8 months and not 8 years as stated on the transcript. £6 down the drain. Wonder if I can get a refund?

Peter
    worth a try I would think since you were 'misled' - I can see this problem occuring many times bearing in mind the extent of infant mortality

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    worth a try I would think since you were 'misled' - I can see this problem occuring many times bearing in mind the extent of infant mortality
    I'll have a look later wimsey, no time now.

Peter

on this page

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c..._reporting.asp

it says

"Not all registration records show an age at death, or the age at death is unclear/illegible on the entry so could not be included in the index. However, where possible, we have enhanced the indexes to include age at death where it has previously not been provided on the microfiche indexes. For infants who died within 12 months of birth, the age is shown as 0 in line with the microfiche indexes. "

which I would say is incorrect ????

Brick wall demolition expert!

One benefit I have noticed is that getting them as PDFs, saves me having to scan the certificates to save them to my tree, so that is one less operation.

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    "Not all registration records show an age at death, or the age at death is unclear/illegible on the entry so could not be included in the index. However, where possible, we have enhanced the indexes to include age at death where it has previously not been provided on the microfiche indexes. For infants who died within 12 months of birth, the age is shown as 0 in line with the microfiche indexes. "

which I would say is incorrect ????
    I agree. So I reported the error via the 'online index error form' but this method denies any correspondence.

Complaints have to be made via the 'certificate service enquiry form'. Unfortunately the field for further details of complaint only allows for 300 characters, consequently my complaint was rather terse. I did manage to quote the final sentence of the above paragraph which wimsey kindly highlighted, just before 'Please refund £6'.

I'll let you know GRO's response.

Peter

Dundee10

Does anyone know what is actually going to happen on 30 Nov when Phase 1 ends? I know that the PDFs will not be available but are the indexes staying?

Pilot phase 2 (approx. three week duration)
    PDF copies of all birth, death, marriage and civil partnership records, within 3 hours. These PDFs will cost £45.

Good luck with that

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee10 View Post
    Does anyone know what is actually going to happen on 30 Nov when Phase 1 ends? I know that the PDFs will not be available but are the indexes staying?

Pilot phase 2 (approx. three week duration)
    PDF copies of all birth, death, marriage and civil partnership records, within 3 hours. These PDFs will cost £45.

Good luck with that
    Yes the indexes will stay, the Phase 2 is really aimed at those who require information urgently (heir-hunters, solicitors etc).
    This service should (according to the Statutory Instrument 2016 Number 980) include the more recent births, death, marriages and civil partnerships that are held in digital form at the GRO.

I envisage it will also be quite popular, though it might lead to rugby scrums at the 7 archives/libraries that hold the latest GRO indexes (Library of Birmingham, Bridgend Local and Family History Centre, City of Westminster Archives Centre, Manchester Central Library, Newcastle City Library, Plymouth Central Library and The British Library).

Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Quote Originally Posted by elsinore View Post
    I've just received a death certificate pdf (which I ordered last Wednesday) only to find the age at death was 8 months and not 8 years as stated on the transcript. £6 down the drain. Wonder if I can get a refund?
    Today I received a graciously worded email from GRO, apologising for the error and inconvenience. The salient paragraph reads:

I appreciate that you would have not ordered from this entry if you had the correct information, so I have arranged a refund for this entry and you will receive a separate email once this has been processed.

The refund had in fact already been made!

Peter

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Hi

I was quite excited when I read of this development as I tend to get all my certificates from the GRO, so duly ordered some PDF's of my husband's family.

Boy, was I disappointed!

They were the correct ones. BUT I was expecting them to be superimposed on the usual relevant certificate backgrounds. But no, they are just the register entry - a black and white image.

I will most likely go back to get my certificates the 'old' way just to get the official 'Certified copy' in it's glorious colour dependent on which certificate it is. Worth the extra £3.25!

I found the being able to search for mother's maiden name right back to 1837 great, can maybe identify the correct 'William Winstanley' now based on mother's maiden name. Off to search now......and when I locate it I'll order 'old' style!

Sue

#29 - I'm slightly confused now. Does the "old style" 'certified copy' contain any additional information to the 'register entry' ?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast