Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Divorce decree absolute

I am making this request on behalf of a friend who, in order to pursue a claim against the estate of his late mother, is required to produce a copy of his parents' divorce decree absolute. Both parents are deceased. He was fostered out as a child and has no knowledge of the details of the divorce although he suspects it may have taken place in the early 1970s whilst they were living in Hertfordshire.

He is aware that the Central Family Court will conduct a search for a fee of £65. Is there any other way that he can retrieve any relevant information on-line more easily (and more cheaply) to facilitate his application? Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Brick wall demolition expert!

The National Archives site says:

The National Archives holds case files for all divorces from the Supreme Court 1858-1937 – very few case files survive after 1937. No case files survive from the district registries set up in 1927.

For legal proof of a divorce in any court in England and Wales since 1858, contact the Central Family Court.

So I think the answer is no.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Have you checked the local press, I seem to recall seeing 'newsworthy' items about decree nisi et al being granted!

Tried googling the names to see if anything comes up?

Knowledgeable and helpful

Thanks, both. You have confirmed what I had suspected. I was just hoping someone might know a "back door" entry on to the information