Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default looking for info on Great Grandfather

Hello, my Great Grandfather George Robinson is listed as a soldier on his marriage Certificate on 22nd April 1884 in the R C Church of Fermoy, Cork. I know from research that Fermoy had an Army Barracks for training purposes there at that time and was wondering if anyone could help me identify him or his regiment. Thank you

Reputation beyond repute

We can't help unless you provide more identification details - when and where born for example.

In the meantime, make sure you've read the research guide

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/h...rs-up-to-1913/
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/h...rs-up-to-1913/

He is listed on the 1911 Ireland Census as living In Castlewellan, County Down, no longer a soldier and birth place England. His marriage certificate also had his father as George Robinson occupation soldier. He married Annie Heaphy who is stated as being born in Cork. My mother believes he had connections with Birmingham, she also remembers him wearing his war medals. That's all I have I'm afraid.

In the meantime I will read the information website you refer to. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

1911 Irish census
    48 in Clarkill Row Town Castlewellan, Down
    George Robinson 46 fishmonger England
    Annie Robinson 44 born Co Cork
    Elizebth Alice Robinson 26 Co Cork
    Mary Ann Robinson 24 Co Tipperary
    Ellen Robinson 22 Born England
    George Robinson 16 Belfast
    Annie Robinson 8 Co Down
    John Robinson 6 Co Down
    Alfred Mulholland 19 Nephew Co Cavan
    Kate Ashford 49 Visitor Co Cork
    All of the RC faith.

Also in the 1901 Ireland census at House 10 in Clarkill Row Town, Upper Iveagh (Lower Half), Down
    George Robinson 36 Carter England
    Annie Robinson 33
    Lizzie Robinson 16
    Mary Anne Robinson 14
    Ellen Robinson 12 England
    George Robinson 7
    Kate Robinson 1

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Thank you for your information and taking the time to reply, it seems he must have moved around with the army for the children to be born in different locations.

I did look for service records for a George Robinson on Findmypast but got interrupted before I could post.
    There are quite a few records. One is for a George born London but signed up in Ireland 1879.
    Then there is one for a George who signed up in Birmingham 1882 but he was an apprentice jeweller which doesn't fit with George's occupation in 1901 and 1911. he is also C of E so can probably be discounted.

Some libraries have the free version of Findmypast so yours may have it. if not you can sign up for a 14 day free trialbut do remember to tick the box so you don't get charged for a 12 moth sub.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Thank you for your help Christina, I will definitely look at the Findmypast website.

Famous for offering help & advice gortonboy's Avatar

on his daughter Elizabeth birth record it states he is soldier C.R. I know a bit about military records,,but struggling to think what C.R. stands for at the moment. he is out of the army by the time his son George is born in 1894.

C.R. is of course Connaught Rangers. Confirmed by the birth record of Mary Anne Robinson in 1886 at Templemore barracks,Thurles in Tipperary.

i think he might be 2479 George Robinson,,enlisted in Belfast in 1879 into the second battalion Connaught rangers. Discharged in 1889 medically unfit. On his pension records dated 1920 it states his intended residence as 35 Bordesley green,Smallheath,Birmingham {the Birmingham connection?}
    He is described as 5 feet 7 inches,light brown hair,blue eyes. The record states he died 22 January 1954.
    He is stated to have been born in Camberwell in 1865.
    iIt also states an enlistment in the Royal Engineers inland waterways and transport in 1916 ,,he was discharged after 11 days as medically unfit. This record states he was born in Camberwell in 1868 and that he was a bricklayer and labourer.
    So,,,could this be YOUR George ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast