Default Henry (Harry) William Cox

Hello, could anyone be able to point me in the right direction please? I'm looking for any info on Henry William Cox, born 12th Feb 1915 Hackney. His mother died in 1918 so Henry and his sister were sent to an orphanage in Somerset. In 1939 we found he was living in Tavistock, 1942 he was married to. Florence le Nora Hocking and that's it? Florence re-married in 1952. Did Henry die during WW2? How do I research records please, I can't find any with a date of birth on? Any help would be very grateful X thank you and all the best Julie. PS: his sister was my grandmother.

Hello Julie and welcome to the British-Genealogy forums.

You could search the Commonwealth War Graves Commission (CWGC) site Here to see if you can spot the death of a Henry William Cox who may be your man.
    ancestry.com has deaths up to 2007 but I haven't spotted a likely candidate yet. There are more William Henry's than Henry Williams. He could have changed his names around or dropped one of them altogether. Other possibilities are emigration and divorce.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Florence's 1952 marriage certificate should show whether she was a widow or divorcee when she re-married.

If you want to know how to order BMD certificates, yell.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

A further thought - do you have Henry and Florence's marriage certificate?
    If so, what is his occupation? If it says soldier/airman/similar then you know that he definitely enlisted, though I can't see a likely death for him up to the end of 1945 on the CWGC site.

Pam

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    A further thought - do you have Henry and Florence's marriage certificate?
    If so, what is his occupation? If it says soldier/airman/similar then you know that he definitely enlisted, though I can't see a likely death for him up to the end of 1945 on the CWGC site.

Pam
    Me bad.
    There is a Henry William Cox, died 1943, no age or family details given, who was a sergeant in the Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve, buried in Hanover War Cemetery.

Pam

Thanks pan, I have seen that one? Will also send off for both marriage certificates they will help. Thank you.

Morning, i've gone through all 6,6221 deaths on Ancestry and nothing? also i have found a H W Cox that emigrated to New York in 1954? but no birth date so still not sure?

Quote Originally Posted by Julie7266 View Post
    Morning, i've gone through all 6,6221 deaths on Ancestry and nothing? also i have found a H W Cox that emigrated to New York in 1954? but no birth date so still not sure?
    My advice would be to wait until you have Florence's second marriage certificate, and find out whether it says widow or divorcee.

I don't know where you live but if you live locally to Tavistock find out where the local newspapers are held and then go and have a peruse of ones printed (a) shortly after the death of the Henry William Cox who died in 1943 and who is buried in Hanover if Florence is named as a widow and (b) papers printed shortly after Florence's re-marriage to see if there's a report of the wedding. If you don't live locally, then still find out where the local newspapers are held (start with the local library) and invest in a phone call to ask if they could do a look-up for you. A lot of places now charge a fee but if you live some distance away a tenner can still be cheaper than transport costs. Because you can be specific to within a maximum of three weeks from a date they won't have many issues to search.

You can also try checking the Ellis Island website for the arrival of that H W Cox who emigrated in 1954. https://www.
    libertyellisfoundation.org/

Pam