Janette1169

Default Notifying next of kin

My 4x great grandfather, was wounded at the Battle of Talavera in 1809. His arm was amputated. Would his next of kin have been informed of this and if so who would have contacted them regarding his injuries?

I'm still trying to trace my 5x great grandparents.

Regards

Janette

Brick wall demolition expert!

I don't know, but I would guess that it would depend upon his rank.

If he was an ordinary soldier then my guess is that the answer would be no, because when I have looked at early army service records I can't say that I recall seeing details of next of kin.

If you move forward 100 years or so then when my great uncle was killed at Gallipoli his mother was written to by his platoon and company commander, although she may also have received a telegram from the War Office, or whoever it was that sent them.

Janette1169

Megan,
    Thank you for your reply. It's a shame information is thin for some of our ancestors. However i will keep looking and hopefully find clues to getting names for my 5x grandparents.
    I have a few more leads to follow,so fingers crossed for those.
    Regards
    Janette

Reputation beyond repute

If you know he was wounded in the Battle of Talavera, you must surely have his WO97 service record. Does this not show his place of birth and his approximate date of birth?

Default Another possible line of enquiry

Do you know what Regiment he served with? A few of the Regimental records have survived and may provide his address on enlisting. It's a long shot, but the further back you go in your tree the wider you have to dig.

Janette1169

Peter, I have his discharge papers, which as you pointed out correctly has his estimated date of birth and place of birth. However it doesnt give me any information as to which town. Its written he was born in the Parish of Aghaloo, County Tyrone, Ireland.
    Not sure how many towns came under the parish of Aghaloo at the time of his birth around 1789. His birth would not have been recorded if i'm correct and there might not even be a baptism either.
    I find the search for Irish ancestors so frustrating at times.

Regards
    Janette

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    If you know he was wounded in the Battle of Talavera, you must surely have his WO97 service record. Does this not show his place of birth and his approximate date of birth?

Janette1169

Yes, he served in the 2nd Battalion, 43rd of foot regiment of the light infantry. I have searched for his enlistment documents, but had no luck. He served for 2 1/2 years, was then discharged after losing an arm at the Battle of Talavera

Regards

Janette

Quote Originally Posted by marshland View Post
    Do you know what Regiment he served with? A few of the Regimental records have survived and may provide his address on enlisting. It's a long shot, but the further back you go in your tree the wider you have to dig.

Janette1169

I am very excited at the minute, whilst searching for my 4x great grandfather, i came across the discharge papers of his brother William!
    Where would i upload these papers, so i can get help transcribing the handwriting, i'm new to these type of records and have trouble reading the writing.

Janette
    Last edited by Janette1169; 25-10-2016 at 3:28 PM. Reason: grammar error

Hi Janette
    If you want to upload sections of the papers you can't read you can do it in the advanced reply box. Look under the blue reply box which has Post quick reply and Go advanced. If you are already in Advanced reply it will just say Submit reply.
    Now click on the picture frame in the row of symbols above the reply box. (it will say 'insert image' when you hover over it.) This takes you to the next page where a box has "select a file.' Click on Browse to find the folder on your computer where the file is stored, click on the file, then on Open, then on Save. You should now be able to click on Upload which will not show you the image (only its 'code') until you click on Post a reply.
    Hope this helps

Alternatively and much easier, tell us where you found these images (ancestry? Findmypast?) and those of us with subscriptions can take a look.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Janette1169

Christanel,

This is why you are a super moderator, and i'm not. why didn't i think of all that:-)

Here is the link for the files
    https://search.findmypast.co.uk/recor...2f833%2f838679

Do hope i have done this correctly and whoever is kind enough to help transcribe ,can view

Thanks
    Janette

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Hi Janette
    If you want to upload sections of the papers you can't read you can do it in the advanced reply box. Look under the blue reply box which has Post quick reply and Go advanced. If you are already in Advanced reply it will just say Submit reply.
    Now click on the picture frame in the row of symbols above the reply box. (it will say 'insert image' when you hover over it.) This takes you to the next page where a box has "select a file.' Click on Browse to find the folder on your computer where the file is stored, click on the file, then on Open, then on Save. You should now be able to click on Upload which will not show you the image (only its 'code') until you click on Post a reply.
    Hope this helps

Alternatively and much easier, tell us where you found these images (ancestry? Findmypast?) and those of us with subscriptions can take a look.

Christina