Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default A question from left field :)

Hi all you generous sharers out there,

I'm new to the board, and thank community for their willingness to help and advise; I hope I can do the same at some juncture.

Right now I have a pressing question that I haven't been able to find the answer to anywhere.

I'd like to know if immigrant passengers to Australia in the late 19th Century (1888) were able to disembark the ship in port for a couple of hours while it took on coal, mail, etc, the way we did in the 1960's?

I can find no reference to passengers talking about these experiences. I've searched the likely places, journals, diaries, Captains logs, Google to no avail. If any enterprising soul out there can help, I'd be very grateful.

Cheers
    Dee

What you need to try and find is a ship's log for the relevant period, although I see you say you have tried captain's logs. I have transcribed the log of the Weymouth, which carried settlers to the Cape of Good Hope in 1820, and entries from 25 January to 3 February, while the ship was anchored off the Canary Islands, make no mention of passengers going ashore, but this was at an earlier period and the ship was not in a harbour. I suppose it would depend on how close the ship could come to a quay and the weather conditions. Taking on supplies would be the captain's first priority.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

A fountain of knowledge

Hi Dee,
    Interesting question. One I've never considered before.

A passenger's or crewman's diary may also be informative.
    Edit: re-reading IP I see you've already tried this route. Keep looking is best I can come up with. There must be a diary somewhere which answers the question.

Regards
    Malcolm.
    Last edited by macwil; 23-10-2016 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Additional comment.

A fountain of knowledge

This may be of interest
    https://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/m...chive/sheet/64.
    there is a section Passage Narratives

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks so much everyone for your input. The Passage Narrative, Liverpool museums link was very interesting.
    I even tried contacting an immigration expert today, but he said it was a question he'd never come across before! I'll keep looking, and you never know, might get lucky. If so, I'll let everyone know just in case its of use to anyone else.

Thanks again
    Dee

https://education.maritime.history.sa...hwardbound.pdf

Page 22 mentions how Rio and Cape Town were treated differently.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks Helachau, appreciate it. That was very interesting reading, and really informative. I've added it to my store of docs.
    What a way to travel, eh?

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Fault View Post
    Hi all you generous sharers out there,

I'm new to the board, and thank community for their willingness to help and advise; I hope I can do the same at some juncture.

Right now I have a pressing question that I haven't been able to find the answer to anywhere.

I'd like to know if immigrant passengers to Australia in the late 19th Century (1888) were able to disembark the ship in port for a couple of hours while it took on coal, mail, etc, the way we did in the 1960's?

I can find no reference to passengers talking about these experiences. I've searched the likely places, journals, diaries, Captains logs, Google to no avail. If any enterprising soul out there can help, I'd be very grateful.

Cheers
    Dee
    My grandfather did when he travelled to New Zealand in the late 1890s
    Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Guy,
    That's really interesting, and the first definite clue to my search! i'd love are details if you (and Grandad ) wouldn't mind sharing.
    Thanks for your reply

Dee

Knowledgeable and helpful

It is on line as part of my grandfathers book Out-Trails https://anguline.co.uk/Framland/out-trails.htm
    I think it is at the start of the last chapter, "Chapter Six Back to New Zealand"
    The book is about my grandfathers travels in the late 1890s trying to export cattle to Argentina and sheep to Australia and New Zeland plus other exploits.
    Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast