Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Much appreciate the link Guy, it looks as though it will be a great read. It's fantastic that you have such a primary source in your family history collection.

Thanks again,
    Dee

https://www3.slv.vic.gov.au/latrobejo...8/t1-g-t8.html

See page 59. It's not the period you are interested in but mentions of going ashore on these voyages are as rare as hens' teeth.

Is your interest only in emigrants going ashore?
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks very much for that, helachau; a great score! You're not wrong, I've been through so many diaries and journals, newspapers, maritime reports etc, those refs really are hard to find. You'd think that going ashore would've been the highlight of the trip, wouldn't you?

I'm a PhD researcher interrogating a particular family and its offshoots, and at the moment they are, with only a few decent clues, taking me on an immigration journey. So, this is just where my interest is right now, but I will undoubtedly encounter an ever widening variety of questions genealogical as time goes by; part of the reason I was so appreciative of finding a forum with so many knowledgable people happy to assist a flounderer.

Thanks so much again, for your time and help

Cheers
    Dee

Warwick & Warwickshire Advertiser, Sat 5 July 1884
    LETTER FROM A LEAMINGTON EMIGRANT
    "The following letter has been received from Edward Heath of Leamington, who emigrated last August, by his late employer: Oriel Lodge, Albany Street, Dunedin, N.Z, January 29th 1884.- Dear Sir, In compliance with your kind request I send you a few lines to tell you I arrived safely in New Zealand, and my experiences of the colony etc. I left England at 4pm. on August 10th, 1883 and had a splendid trip to Melbourne, by the Lusitania. We called at Santa Cruz (Teneriffe), the Cape of Good Hope, and Adelaide on our way, and at each of the places mentioned opportunities were given us to have a good look around........"

He paints a very favourable picture of Santa Cruz and Adelaide but not impressed at all with Capetown.

Re. the "good look around" above, have been tracking the Lusitania's progress via The Times

Aug 22 1883 - THE MAILS (from Lloyds) - Teneriffe Aug 17 - The Orient Line steamer Lusitania, from London, arrived here yesterday, and left today for Cape Town and Sydney.

Sep 5 1883 - THE MAILS (from Lloyds) - Cape Town Sep 3 - The Orient Line steamer Lusitania, from London, arrived here at 9 a.m. today and left at 5 p.m. for Australia.

Sep 25 1883 - THE MAILS (from Lloyds) - Adelaide Sep 23 - The Orient Line steamer Lusitania, from London, for Sydney, arrived here today (afternoon).**

** Still searching for a departure time/date.

Knowledgeable and helpful

I have been thinking about your question re immigrants and wonder whether the reason they don't seem to leave the ships could be twofold, finances and a fear of being left behind.

If they have sunk all their money into emigrating they would possibly save any spare for the start of their life in the new country, rather than “wasting” it on trips ashore. Whereas people like my grandfather enjoyed travelling and adventures and would not be fazed if the ship left him behind.

Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hey H,
    Wow this is all really insightful, and an amazing piece of research. Thank you very much.

I'm wondering if there's a difference between shipping lines, (mine is the BISN Co.) or maybe the decision to allow people off was solely at the discretion of the individual Surgeon-Superintendent (who, I believe, had more authority than the Captain when it came to the actual passengers).

I've just come across relatively detailed journal from a ship from Denmark in 1889, and although he mentions all sorts of things, like how much rum they were given, and that 'Black Arabs' carried the coal on their backs for refuelling, he says nothing at all about leaving the ship.

Interestingly, all the accounts I have are via the Suez, maybe there's a distinction there?

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Guy,

You may well be right. I think it might've been a scary prospect for some who weren't like Grandad, the idea of foreign lands, and foreign folk. And finances may well have been an issue too.

Thinking about the adventurous types, I wonder if the shipping company might have had concerns about some of their passengers absconding, or simply of their safety.

Helachua has come up with some great stuff that shows people DID leave the ships, so there has to be a definitive explanation somewhere of why the trips I've looked at don't record it.

We WILL ferret it out between us.

Cheers
    Dee

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12