Clarinetguy

Default Find that Memorial Inscription

I have started a personal website in order to collect details about UK churchyard Memorial Inscription surveys. (I think this could take some time! If it has been done already please stop me now!) Although I am listing online examples I am particularly interested in surveys which have not been published and which may only be found in folders located in churches up and down the country. I have found a few like this. There is more information on the About page on the site.

If forum members know of any such surveys, they may wish to share the information by using the contact page. The site is at

https://
    findthatmi.wordpress.com/

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Hello

I have looked at your website, so far so good!

In the late 1970's /!980'S certainly the FHS I am / was a member of undertook to record the MI's of graveyards / burial places within there area.
    Cumbria FHS has a booklet and yes it does publicise the fact that it has one ( as does N Cheshire )

There is an ongoing thread on Rootschat for Lancashire where volunteers are working at Manchester General Cemetery Transcription Project

The major cemeteries /crems in Manchester are listed on the site .burialrecords.manchester.gov.uk/

There are commercial sites Findagrave for one. Most have photographs of the headstone which contains the inscriptiom.

Clarinetguy

Hi geneius,

The Cumbria FHS website is listed under counties and is easy to navigate and find MIs there - well done to them. I use FindaGrave myself and I'll check out the Rootschat thread.

Does anyone know about a National Project to record every gravestone in the UK? It was mentioned on
    https://
    www.ndfhs.org.uk/pp_mi_project_image but I have not heard of it. I have emailed the N&DFHS so await their reply.
    Last edited by Clarinetguy; 23-10-2016 at 10:08 AM. Reason: adjust URL

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarinetguy View Post
    I have started a personal website in order to collect details about UK churchyard Memorial Inscription surveys. (I think this could take some time! If it has been done already please stop me now!)
    Nah - you'll have it finished by Christmas.

Brilliant idea, and I hope you get lots of support for it.

I was trying to think of the project that started quite a few years ago and all I could remember was NAOMI. As usual a bit of googling found what the initials stood for - The National Archive of Memorial Inscriptions. I think it only took off in a few counties (Norfolk was one of them), so re N&DFHS page and the National Project 'someone' is probably now trying to revive the general idea.
    A little more about NAOMI and its demise (in 2011). https://
    archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/SOG-UK/2014-04/1396960896
    So it would seem that only places in Norfolk and Bedfordshire were on the website.

Don't think I'll be any use with unpublished surveys, but I can give you quite a few which are online. Do you want those? And if so, shall I just post them in the thread?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Reputation beyond repute

If you think you've got some useful information, why don't you talk to the folk at GenUKI with a view to incorporating it within their existing structure?

This is surely the logical place for it to be.

Clarinetguy

Thanks Pam, Christmas it is then! (not). If you'd like to send me the survey links via the site I will add them.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarinetguy View Post
    Thanks Pam, Christmas it is then! (not). If you'd like to send me the survey links via the site I will add them.
    Have sent you a PM.
    Feel free to tell me which sort of stuff you don't want.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Knowledgeable and helpful

All of Wiltshire's extant MIs, except the more recent ones, are to be found on FMP. pwholt

Clarinetguy

Quote Originally Posted by pwholt View Post
    All of Wiltshire's extant MIs, except the more recent ones, are to be found on FMP. pwholt
    Thank you. I have added links to other counties which have MIs on FMP. (Located by using Search A-Z of Records for memorial inscriptions)