Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default Freda KARCHINSKY/KORCHINSKY & Jacob SYVAN

I have another conundrum that I wish to ask for help.
    My dads mother, Freda Syvan to Jacob Syvan is also desperate for a marriage certificate. If you can find this,then... I dont know..
    She got to UK in 1913 vis Hamburg .. we have the ship manifest. Her family came from Korycin, Poland. Her husband Jacob??? nothing. We do have their grave stones however.

There is 1 Ancestry.Com family tree ( is it your tree jaquigee?) which has data that suggests 2 possible marriages for Freda. The first set of data suggests she arrived in the UK with young children but not with a named husband. The same tree has her having 3 other children between 1922-24- the first is Daniel aka Barnett Syvan ( see Free BMD for the Birth Record of Daniel SYVUN mother LEPINSKY March qtr 1922; Joseph b 1923; Deborah b 1924

The GRO Death index record for Jacob ZIVAN age 86 Wandsworth 1952 5d 950- this matches his tombstone death inscription ( I have seen the tombstone photograph of Jacob and Freda- her death is recorded as 8 Feb 1951 aged 69.
    The family tree notes the surname spellings of Freda as KORECHYNSKI aka KARCHINSKY but note LEPINSKY if Freda is also the mother of Daniel, Joseph, Deborah.
    The surname spellings for Jacob also vary to include SYVAN,SYLVAN, ZIVAN

I have not as yet seen a GRO Marriage Index for Jacob/Freda but given the variations in surname spellings ( there may be others) it maybe difficult to locate. It may also be possible that the marriage did not occur in the UK.
    Phillip

Starting to feel at home

Default another thanks

yes, that tree is mine! Freida left from Hamburg, 3 babies, expecting to find Phillip. But he was no where and Phillip's family didnt want to help her. So I cannot imagine the hardship she experienced. Unable to read or write and only spoke Yiddish. We have been looking at the poor shelters and Freida had to put her babies for a while in an orphanage. In the meanwhile Phillip had gone back to his home town, Grajewo, and remarried, had a large family, and they died in Treblinka. Is it at Treblinka or in? So there are no records for the town of Korycin where Freda was supposedly born. There was a massive pogrom in 1903-1906 that the Cossacks and the Czar enjoyed, and hence the flee. In the war all the Jews were deported.You may be right that they didnt marry, although they were both religious. Maybe they only had a Jewish "union". Thank you for all the help, really..
    Jaqui

Small note- The London Gazette 17 July 1942
    Change of Name:
    Barnett SYVAN 1 Wheeler House Quaker Street London E 1 Natural born British Subject to Daniel Barnett SYLVAN

For other researchers Daniel aka Barnett Syvan aka Sylvan is a son of Freide aka Freda Syvan nee Lipinski/Lepinsky and Jacob Syvan aka Zivan

Still unable to locate a marriage record for Freide/Freda and Jacob using variety of last name spellings.

Other researchers- see data on the lines posted by jaquigee on JewishGen

Phillip

Starting to feel at home

dear Phillip, Should I copy paste all these Korchinsky/Syvan posts into a fresh one so that all it may interest others instead of just the Cohen /Jacobs stuff?
    By the way, I never knew my dad added Daniel to his name change. I thought it was just the surname change. This is wonderful. I cannot begin to tell you how supported I feel ..

Starting to feel at home

this is from a friend of mine who sent this to me ages ago. I could find any connection between the my dads family and this... But as it states, we have nothing to go on.

The 1911 census of 7 Bow St., London lists Henry Cywan (37), a men's hairdresser born in Warsaw, his wife Helen (32), born in Wloclawek, their daughter Ada (11), born in Warsaw, and two London-born children, Julius (8) and Jessie (4-1/2). Ada was naturalized in 1930. The record is closed until 2031. Do you suppose these people could have been related to Freda's second husband? To me, it seems a better bet than Sylvan, but we don't have much to go on

I would keep all options open regarding the last name spellings. You don't want to repeat posted data but it would make sense to set up a new thread with the Karchinsky/Syvan name and refer back to this current thread- see what the forum administrators suggest.

I noted ( you have probably got this data already but just in case)- GRO Birth Index Debbie SYVAN mother's maiden name KARCHINSKY March qtr 1924 St Geo in the East 1c 341
    GRO Marriage Index Deborah SYVAN Dec qtr 1943 Stepney 1c 287

I will not post on the names of possible living individuals but noted on the GRO Birth Index that a daughter was born to Married name JOSEPH maiden name SYLVAN in 1944 and a son in 1951

This data suggests that by 1944 Deborah had also adopted the surname SYLVAN.

Phillip

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by jaquigee View Post
    dear Phillip, Should I copy paste all these Korchinsky/Syvan posts into a fresh one so that all it may interest others instead of just the Cohen /Jacobs stuff?
    Quote Originally Posted by phillip View Post
    I would keep all options open regarding the last name spellings. You don't want to repeat posted data but it would make sense to set up a new thread with the Karchinsky/Syvan name and refer back to this current thread- see what the forum administrators suggest.
    At least one mod has been keeping an eye on the number of posts relating to the Karchinsky + variants and Syvan +variants names, and as they are now in the majority in the old (NATHAN/COHEN) thread they have been moved to their own thread.

Jacquigee - If you would like a slightly different heading, just ask but we're limited to approximately 45 characters. I could delete the first names of Freda and Jacob and put Syvan/Sylvan if you would like. Just say.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Starting to feel at home

another SO grateful reply to you all. Everything you have done is with such diligence and engagement .. amazing people.

Starting to feel at home

also, living individuals are OK with names being reported!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast