Thread: RAF Snaith

Default RAF Snaith

Hello
    Looking for information regarding sgt thwaites 1898435
    Based at raf snaith
    Thank you

Kiltpin

This might be of some use to narrow down the time frame and the different Squadrons -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Snaith

Regards

Kiltpin

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums Auntamelia
    If you came to us from Forces War records reading this will tell you why you landed here with us and a little about what we do.
    If you are referring to RAF service in WW11then service records are not on line on any site as they are still held by the MoD.
    This 'sticky' explains and gives links to application forms .

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

RAF Snaith 1942/43
    Looking for anyone who may have known my Uncle Bill
    Sergeant William Richard Newton
    Bomb Navigator
    Missing in action 1943. Over Holland or English Chanel.
    From Plumstead London

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

BluesBoys1961,

The same criteria applies to your Uncle Bill as to your post regarding your father. Forces Reunited is the forum you want.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

According to the Commonwealth War Graves on cwgc.org:
    1388302 Sgt William Richard Newton of 51 Sqdn, RAFR, d. 23 Jun 1943. Runnymede Memorial panel 160.
    According to the database on aircrewremembered.com, the plane was a Halifax II, number JD251, code M HX. It crashed at Mulheim. No planes from 51 Sqdn were lost over the Netherlands (including Dutch airspace over the North Sea) on that date according to the Verliesregister ("Loss register"). Mulheim is on the Ruhr, Germany. Look up "Battle of the Ruhr"on Wikipedia.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

BluesBoys1961

I did not know your uncle Bill, but, my uncle would have done. He was in the same aircrew and was also killed in that crash. Sgt. Terence Bennett, known as Terry was the navigator. The aircraft was a Halifax II, serial JD251 squadron markings MH-X. The aircraft was on a raid on Mulheim in the Ruhr, one of about 750 aircraft. It came down in Mulheim in the 'Zentral Freidhof', the main cemetery. Of the seven crew six were killed. The flight engineer, Sgt Davidson, survived. I presume he bailed out. He became a PoW but is noted as being confined to hospital due to his injuries. He returned to the UK in Feb 1945 as part of some large prisoner exchange via Sweden. I presume that the men exchanged were all injured and not deemed able to return to active duty.
    Of the six crew who died, two are buried in the Rheinberg War Cemetery. I suspect that the other four are too but are un-identified.

Regards,
    Paul