Thread: Italian POW

Default Italian POW

Hi all,
    I'm currently searching for my partners "real grandfather" . My partners father was born in Leeds, UK. His name is Terrance William Challoner-Edwards. Terrances mother was a cook in the POW camp in Croyden,England. We are under the impression that Terrances father was an Italian POW.
    Terrances mothers is: Gladys Evelyn Gittins but may have gone their as Gladys Challoner.
    Terrance would have been conceived in 1943 as he was born in July 1945

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

This could possibly be his birth - https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/inform...bmd_1474873875
    or it could be this one - https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/inform...bmd_1474873875
    Apply for a certificate and see if the father is named.
    regards

Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

Reputation beyond repute

Terrance would have been conceived in 1943 as he was born in July 1945
    Crikey

Growing old Disgracefully

Order both certificates but ask for a Cross reference with mothers name when you order the Birth Certificate as you know her name is Gladys that way you will get the right one. They will charge you for 2 but refund you the money for the one you don't need.

marj

Hi.

On the 1939 register there is Gladys E Challoner b. 1908 with her is John Gittins b. 1863 Sarah A Gittins b. 1873.
    plus one other
    I have looked for the marriage for Gladys to a Challoner with no luck, but found a marriage for Gladys E Challoner
    to Gerald Edwards in Sept Qtr 1951 Shrewsbury. With Terrance having Edwards in his name could Gerald possible be his
    father ?

Hope this helps

Marj

Whoops he would have been conceived in 1944 not 43, typo mistake. Terry was given Gerald Edwards last name but Geralde passed away in 1942 in the war, we found this out by accident on ancestry.com. When the family were confronted they said, how did my partner find out about this.