Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    janbooth

Birth registration of a William Frederic COLEGATE in the June qtr 1857 at Tunbridge Wells reg district which could be relevant to you. I note you stated that William emigrated to Canada in 1880. However, I have just found this Passenger List record which shows that an Edwin COLGATE aged 21, Francis COLGATE aged 23, & Wm COLGATE aged 16, are all shown as Passengers aboard the "Nyanza" which embarked from Plymouth and arrived at Quebec on 8 June 1873. Seems a bit of a coincidence regarding the names, doesn't it?

Janet

Quote Originally Posted by HBCwife View Post

Edwin is listed in the 1901 Guelph, Ontario, Canada Census with his wife Frances Jackman and family.
    It says he and his wife immigrated in 1872. Perhaps he returned to England and married Frances before going back to Canada.
    Edwin John COLGATE married Frances JACKMAN June quarter 1873. The marriage was registered on the Isle of Wight Vol 2b p959

UK births, marriages and deaths can be searched for free at https://www.freebmd.org.uk/
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

janbooth

So that fits in very well with the marriage, doesn't it. Plus I should have noticed that the Francis COLGATE on the Passenger List is actually female- tunnel vision again! But the ages of Edwin & William COLGATE do correspond with the ages on the 1861 census record that Sue has found.

Edwin's Death Record is on Ancestry and shows that he died on 29 June 1923 in the General Hospital, Toronto, was aged 72, born in Kent, England, a Piano Maker, and that the informant of his death was brother W F COLGATE, which fits in with the 1921 Canadian census record of Toronto where they are both Lodgers.

Janet

If he is, we don't know about it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12