Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default William Henry Hughes

Looking for information on William aka Billy Hughes. I heard he left Ireland after serving in the Irish Defence Force in the Congo. I also heard he passed a good few yrs ago in Birmingham UK. His D.O.B is 03/06/1940.
    I'l looking for his death cert if indeed he is passed and location of grave site if possible.

Thanks in Advance
    Mark

Hello Mark and welcome to the British-Genealogy forums.
    We are primarily a forum for researching our ancestors and our T and C's forbid us posting the names of living people.
    I have done a death search on ancestry.com and cannot see a death for a William Henry Hughes (and without the middle name) born 3 June 1940.There is one born 6 June 1940 but the death occurred in Wales

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you christanel
    I found his daughters living in Birmingham about 10yrs ago but lost contact due to a house move and change of phone number. Their names were Anne and Caroline I think. Both got married and I don't know their married names, So don't know where or how to search for them again. They told me Billy followed them over to Birmingham and they thought he died some time later, They had no contact with him for yrs. I'm trying to find him as his army colleagues are being honored for their bravery in Jadotville Congo in sep 1961.

Thanks for your help, I need all the help I can get right now. I feel its my duty as his nephew to do whatever it takes to find where he is.

Hi
    we are on dangerous ground now because his daughters are most likely still alive.
    Have you tried social media such as Facebook to locate them?
    I can't find marriages for them as the records stop at 1983 due to privacy laws.
    Another way may be to contact the Birmingham newspapers to tell them of your search for this man and why you need to find him or his death notice. I would think it would be a very good human interest story for a newspaper to run in this age of doom and gloom. Who knows it may even reconnect you with his daughters.
    good luck in your search
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Hi
    we are on dangerous ground now because his daughters are most likely still alive.
    I can't find marriages for them as the records stop at 1983 due to privacy laws.
    Another way may be to contact the Birmingham newspapers to tell them of your search for this man and why you need to find him or his death notice. I would think it would be a very good human interest story for a newspaper to run in this age of doom and gloom. Who knows it may even reconnect you with his daughters.
    good luck in your search
    Christina
    What a great idea. I'll email the Birmingham newspaper now. Thank you for the suggestion.
    As for social media, I thought of that, But as I don't know their married surnames and not knowing what they look like, I have to admit defeat on that route. I hope the newspapers can help me as there will be a wreath laying ceremony on the 22 of Oct to commemorate all his 156 army colleagues. If you get a chance to look up the new movie made about these brave men, Please do so. Its called "The Siege of Jadotville" starring Jamie Dornan from 50 shades of gray.
    Thanks for all your help its really appreciated.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Hi
    good luck in your search
    Christina
    I found his daughter but unfortunately they haven't heard from him since 1972, He also went by the name Oliver would that help? D.O.B june 3rd 1940.

Hello
    There are no deaths for an Oliver Highes 1916 - 2007 apart from one who was born and died 1938.
    There are 4 deaths for a William H Hughes 1916 - 2007
    One born and died 1940
    One born 1938 died 1940
    One born and died 1942
    One born 1942 died 1962
    Then I searched for a death of William Hughes (no middle initial and discounting those that died before 1975 and those with middle name/initials other the Henry/H and also discounting those that show a day/month/year of birth other than 3 June 1940 there is no result.
    Could he have gone back to Ireland? Or he may have adopted another name completely or emigrated. So many scenarios. I am sorry I can't be of more help.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Looks like I'll have to give up, I'm out of ideas now. Thanks for all your help Christina. Admins may delete this thread when ready.

A fountain of knowledge

hi , it can be very frustrating tracking people in modern times , however , maybe you could try :

Irish army pension records , he would have been entitled surely ?

if he lived in the Birmingham area , try voters registers , council housing registers , county records and church records ,burial records all are available , but face to face not on line .

Good luck , I know of the story of the Irish in the Congo and I have seen the film , I believe , he deserves to be found and recognised .

Dean
    Last edited by deanC; 12-10-2016 at 9:34 PM. Reason: spelling !

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by deanC View Post
    hi , it can be very frustrating tracking people in modern times , however , maybe you could try :

Irish army pension records , he would have been entitled surely ?

if he lived in the Birmingham area , try voters registers , council housing registers , county records and church records ,burial records all are available , but face to face not on line .

Good luck , I know of the story of the Irish in the Congo and I have seen the film , I believe , he deserves to be found and recognised .

Dean
    Thanks Dean
    I still live in Ireland so face to face is a bit out of my reach as to the finances of it, Flights, Hotels and travel. I'm afraid I have to come to terms with probably not knowing what happened to him. Over half of that platoon have passed on with the memories of being branded as cowards and not knowing what the rest of that platoon fought on for. It is about time they got the Government to acknowledge their heroism after 55yrs, Late I know but not too late for more than 60 vets that are still with us.

Thanks again for your comments.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast