Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Settling in

Default give up with grandmother

My maternal grandmother was born I think in 1895/6 no idea where. I cannot find her on any census or find a birth certificate. Her name was Alma Beatrice Green, on her marriage certificate in Luton to my grandfather John Thomas Jones(who was born in Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs) her father is Arthur William Green, manager. She was living in Leagrave Road, Luton and was a munitions worker, he was a soldier based at Biscott training camp Luton previous job coal miner. On her death certificate in 1926 she was 30 years old and living in Middleport, Stoke-on-Trent. There are only 2 Alma Beatrice Green's on the GRO reg one in Maldon, Essex and one in Gateshead and neither have the right father. There is one living with a William Deamer as a niece on the 1901 census in Barnett, Essex but I haven't been able to match this to my Alma and one on the 1911 census living as a niece with Rose Louisa Green but I can't find a link here either. If anyone who can point me in the right direction from here it will be much appreciated, been looking for her for a number of years. Thanks Sue

I wonder whether her mother went abroad with her father's regiment, and she was born elsewhere.. I think there's a section for Forces registrations at NAS - I'm sure someone who knows where will be along in a bit...

Settling in

Thanks Lesley, don't know anything about her family so not sure

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by susanann View Post
    My maternal grandmother was born I think in 1895/6 no idea where. I cannot find her on any census or find a birth certificate. Her name was Alma Beatrice Green, on her marriage certificate in Luton to my grandfather John Thomas Jones(who was born in Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs) her father is Arthur William Green, manager. She was living in Leagrave Road, Luton and was a munitions worker, he was a soldier based at Biscott training camp Luton previous job coal miner. On her death certificate in 1926 she was 30 years old and living in Middleport, Stoke-on-Trent. There are only 2 Alma Beatrice Green's on the GRO reg one in Maldon, Essex and one in Gateshead and neither have the right father.
    Not quite correct. These birth registrations are for Beatrice Alma Green.
    When you say 'neither have the right father' is this because you have the birth certificates for both these Beatrice Alma's?
    There is one living with a William Deamer as a niece on the 1901 census in Barnett, Essex but I haven't been able to match this to my Alma
    This Alma is listed as plain Alma, nothing to presume that she has a middle name of Beatrice.
    Aged 5, she is living in Ridge, Hertfordshire census ref RG13/1229 folio 67 page 3
    William Deamer, 38, farm labourer, Barnet, Herts
    Annie, wife, 32, London Euston Road
    William, son, 9. Barnet
    Ronald, son, 5, Barnet
    Alma Green, niece, 5, Barnet
    Hector Macleod, boarder, 27, Scotland [Invercarry?]

At a guess I would say she is the Alma Nelly L Green, birth registration September quarter 1895 Barnet registration district.

and one on the 1911 census living as a niece with Rose Louisa Green but I can't find a link here either. If anyone who can point me in the right direction from here it will be much appreciated, been looking for her for a number of years. Thanks Sue
    This is Beatrice Alma Green, aged 15, born Woodham Walter, Essex.
    Highly likely to be the Beatrice Alma, birth registration March quarter 1896, Maldon registration district which includes Woodham Walter.
    1911 census reference RG14/PN10200 SN101

ADDED: In 1901 this Beatrice Alma is living with her (presumed) parents Frederick and Elizabeth in the household of her maternal grandmother, Mary Overall in Woodham Walter. Census reference RG13/1690 folio 25 page 13. Further up the page are the people Beatrice is living with in the 1911 census.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Settling in

No sorry Pam checked all these and none match up I know they are Beatrice Alma but people do tend to change their names around sometimes. but her name was Alma Beatrice it's on her marriage and death certificates and thats what my mum said her name was. the one in Gateshead the father is George and the Essex one is Frederick so thanks anyway
    Sue

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Alma aged 5, is living in Ridge, Hertfordshire census ref RG13/1229 folio 67 page 3
    William Deamer, 38, farm labourer, Barnet, Herts
    Annie, wife, 32, London Euston Road
    William, son, 9. Barnet
    Ronald, son, 5, Barnet
    Alma Green, niece, 5, Barnet
    Hector Macleod, boarder, 27, Scotland [Invercarry?]

At a guess I would say she is the Alma Nelly L Green, birth registration September quarter 1895 Barnet registration district.
    Pam
    Baptism
    Alma Nellie Louisa Green
    Christened 8 Sep 1895 Barnet, Hertfordshire
    Father - Henry George Green, mother - Emily

Emily Deamer married Henry George Green in June 1/4 1891

Have you considered the possibility that Alma Beatrice was illegitimate and invented a father to appear more respectable to her husband and in-laws? Does it say father deceased on the marriage certificate?

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

There is an Arthur William Green in 1911 Wednesfield, Staffordshire RG14 Piece 17094 Schedule 144, a Works Manager stamping. Wife Beatrice but no Amy with them and not in 1901 either RG13 Piece 2688 Folio 132 Page 9.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Settling in

Smile

Thanks christanel will check this out and thanks to all for your help

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Who are the witnesses on the marriage certificate and have you identified them?

Settling in

Hi genius yes checked out the witnesses Harry & Florrence Houghton I assume she worked with my grandmother and was her friend but no further with them apart that he was a navy pensioner on his second marriage and she a lot younger than him

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast