Default Royal Garrison Artillery TF Names

I've been tracing my grandfather's WW1 service. We knew he was in the Artillery, and served howitzers. He lied about his age and joined up soon after the start of the war. Probably one of "Kitchener Boys". There are two medal cards for Henry J Herring, one with a regimental number of 359, serving in the mystery unit of RGA/2/A2, the other with a regimental number of 321457 serving in the RGA 110th Battery.. Reading between the lines I thought this would be the 110th Siege Battery, as we know he was on howitzers. My grandfather had 3 medals, and the former from above got the 1915 Star, and the latter the Victory and British Medals. With an uncommon surname I think these two are both the same man. His service record doesn't appear to have survived in order to tie them together though. I obtained a copy of the Regimental War Diary for the 110th Siege Battery, which runs from the unit's formation in Feb 2016 until December 2017, and it reveals they served in The Somme and near Vimy Ridge, which agrees with what we know about my grandfather. The first Henry J Herring arrived in France on 21/10/15, and I suppose he could have been sent to the 110th Siege Battery later. Does anyone know what the mystery unit RGA/2/A2 could have been? Searching for it under that name only brings up the medal cards I already have. We know he served in Belgium as well, early on in his service, and I have found a "history" card for the 110th Siege Battery that says the unit was part of VI Corps. VI Corps was organised in mid 2015, and saw action in both Belgium and France, so I'm guessing that the mystery unit was part of VI Corps too.

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

If you are looking at his medal index card RGA/2/2A (Page 150) is the medal roll the card is referring to. as is RGA 100B on page 988 (read the red headings above the numbers), both are on Ancestry. If you get the 14-15 star, then you will also get the BWM and VM, so I would say they are the same person. The medal roll for the star notes he was in the Territorial Force - attached to the 46th siege battery, not the 110th. The other roll mentions Duke of Cornwall's RGA. You should look at those.
    Read this site also - https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/

regards

Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

Thanks Robert, that''s brilliant. I was working of some old black and white (mostly mottled) photocopies for the medal cards. The stuff on Ancestry is much clearer. I jumped on RGA 110B as being a unit and not a page number in the medal rolls! All your info checked out, and I've downloaded the War Diary from the 46th Siege Battery. Now for a good read. Once again, thank you for the information, and for correcting my "schoolboy" error without making me feel a complete idiot!

Default 46th Siege Battery

Quote Originally Posted by RobHerring View Post
    Thanks Robert, that''s brilliant. I was working of some old black and white (mostly mottled) photocopies for the medal cards. The stuff on Ancestry is much clearer. I jumped on RGA 110B as being a unit and not a page number in the medal rolls! All your info checked out, and I've downloaded the War Diary from the 46th Siege Battery. Now for a good read. Once again, thank you for the information, and for correcting my "schoolboy" error without making me feel a complete idiot!
    Hi Rob
    Starting out Tracing my Great Grandfather who was in the 46th Siege Battery,
    I see you have downloaded their War Diary,
    Where did you find it?
    or Is it possible to have a copy?
    Thanks for any help, Simonb

Reputation beyond repute

I see you have downloaded their War Diary,
    Where did you find it?
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/h...ies-1914-1922/

Thanks guys
    brilliant reading, but
    Any idea what happens after 27th feb 1917, nothing in Diary after that date. My G G Grandfather was killed September 17, and buried Vis-en-Artois

Loves to help with queries

Hi
    Quote Originally Posted by simonb View Post
    Thanks guys
    brilliant reading, but
    Any idea what happens after 27th feb 1917, nothing in Diary after that date. My G G Grandfather was killed September 17, and buried Vis-en-Artois
    If you search from the link P Goodey gave above using the terms "royal garrison artillery 110 then there are 2 entries the second one is Feb '16 to Dec '17.

Thanks again, However, didnt check before I sent, It should have read
    ""what happens after 27th Feb 1918 nothing in Diary after that date. My G G Grandfather was killed September 17 1918, and buried Vis-en-Artois ""

Quote Originally Posted by RobHerring View Post

Hi Rob
    Did you find anything on the 46th Siege Artillery AFTER Feb 2018?
    Did they disband/
    or join another battery?
    Thats as far as the War Diary goes
    Thanks again
    Simon

Quote Originally Posted by simonb View Post
    Hi Rob
    Did you find anything on the 46th Siege Artillery AFTER Feb 1918?
    Did they disband/
    or join another battery?
    Thats as far as the War Diary goes
    Thanks again
    Simon
    1918 Obviously