Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Settling in

Default Hollands and Beardsleys of Ockbrook

My ggg grandfather Isaac Beardsley was married to Mary Dowman and lived in Ockbrook, Derbyshire as publican of the White Swan Inn in 1830s to 1860s. Isaac's son Edward named two of his children John Holland and Holland Edward yet none of the female family members were Hollands. Isaac, Mary and their daughter Caroline's graves are next to graves of Thomas Holland and Martha Holland in Ockbrook cemetery. My cousins middle name is also Holland. Does anyone have a Holland ancestor from Ockbrook? Could the children just be named after a family friend? Thanks Chris

Apart from family, children were often named after the landowner, employer, godparents and even those mentioned in the newspapers... grandparents or even great grandparents are also possible. Sometimes a middle name can become traditional in a family and be used long after anyone can remember why.
    I'd look at how siblings were naming their kids. At least that'll tell you if it's family, and which side it's coming from...

PatMcCoy

Hello from the other side of the Great Pond a.k.a. the Atlantic Ocean in the USA. I live in the state of Maryland so my knowledge of British geography is limited.

I'm not too familiar with where Ockbrook, Derbyshire is located in the United Kingdom so I was wondering if the area was anywhere near Northumberland or Leicestershire? The reason I'm asking is that some of my ancestors are members of the HOLLAND Family and some of them have been traced back to Northumberland, Leicestershire, as well as London, England. I don't know if that helps in any way.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Pat,

Leicestershire is adjacent to Derbyshire. Northumberland is nowhere near either of them; nor is London.

This 'map' doesn't give any indication of the distance but you can see where the counties of England are in relation to each other. https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/
    Northumberland (NBL) is right at the top.
    Derbyshire (DBY) is straight down from NBL, and then Leicestershire (LEI) is sort-of south/south-east of DBY.

Although I can't easily see the county boundary on one map I'm looking at, Ockbrook looks to be in the south of Derbyshire, and therefore likely to be less than twenty miles from the boundary with Leicestershire.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

PatMcCoy

Thanks!

BTW, I know some of my HOLLAND ancestors came to America from England. If anyone is searching for HOLLAND ancestors who crossed the Great Pond, I can try to help out if I can.

There's a Thomas Holland, innkeeper of the Saracen's Head in nearby Borrowash in May 1841 (his daughter's marriage notice)

This is probably him in 1851 HO107 2141 355 3 and possibly 1841 HO107 182 43 1

A Martha Holland died Shardlow Reg Dist, Mar Qtr, 1838

Do you have the grave details of the Thomas and Martha next your family?

The link is simply Thomas and Isaac enjoying the same occupations and Ockbrook and Borrowash being in close proximity.

All very tenuous!!
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

PatMcCoy

My HOLLAND Family line goes from Elizabeth HOLLAND (1689–1747) in Maryland, married to Philip PINDELL (1684-1742) in Maryland. Elizabeth's father was Otho HOLLAND, Sr. (born circa 1660 in England and died February 12, 1701 in Maryland.) The father of Otho HOLLAND, Sr. was William HOLLAND (born circa 1635 in England and died circa 1700 in Maryland). The father of William HOLLAND was Francis Gabriel HOLLAND (1596, Northumberland, England –1665, Jamestown, Virginia). The father of Francis Gabriel HOLLAND was John Philemon HOLLAND (1556-1620). The father of John Philemon HOLLAND was Henry HOLLAND, Jr. (1527-1561). The father of Henry HOLLAND, Jr. was Henry HOLLAND, Sr. (1485-1561) in London, England. The father of Henry HOLLAND, Sr. was Thomas HOLLAND (1461-1540) in England. I've been told that his parents were the Duke and Duchess of Exeter.

I hate to say this, but I'd treat the possible connection with the Exeters with suspicion. Yes, the surname is the same, but the Duke of that time (Henry) is on record as having left no male heirs. They only had one girl so the Dukedom was declared extinct....
    Did your informant provide a source for their information?

PatMcCoy

I'm double-checking on that now. I don't know how long it will be before my informant replies.

PatMcCoy

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    I hate to say this, but I'd treat the possible connection with the Exeters with suspicion. Yes, the surname is the same, but the Duke of that time (Henry) is on record as having left no male heirs. They only had one girl so the Dukedom was declared extinct....
    Did your informant provide a source for their information?
    I'm still waiting to hear back from my informant with documentation on the connection to Anne of York, Duchess of Exeter.

In the meantime, I'm wondering if I could ask for assistance in determining the English origins of Otho HOLLAND, born circa 1660 somewhere in England? He married Mehitabel LARKIN and came to Colonial Maryland. He died, around 1701, in what is now Anne Arundel County, Maryland. Can anyone help with verifying his British birth? Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast