Default GEORGE L CRAWCOUR-MEDICAL PRACTITIONER 1855

This thread is for my Crawcour distant relatives and others and focuses on a George L Crawcour medical practioner 1855 London. The publication of new records by Ancestry.Com on UK and Ireland Medical Directories 1845-1942 identified an unknown Crawcour who was recorded in the London and Provincial Directory 1855 as George L Crawcour 21 Parkside Knightsbridge. The earliest George Crawcour I have data on is George Harry Lowe Crawcour born in 1876 but there was also Henry George Crawcour alive in the same period as the George L Crawcour. Henry was a dental surgeon.
    There was also Isaac Lionel Crawcour born in 1825 who studied as a medical student at Guy's Hospital from 1846-1851. Isaac left for the USA pre 1854 and became a Professor in New Orleans. He was married in 1856 and Naturalised as an American citizen in 1857.

There are no other references in the Medical Directories to a George L Crawcour.

Interestingly, one family tree I hold on the Crawcour lines refers to a George Crawcour b circa 1777 but no other trees I also hold identifies this name.
    The London and Provincial Medical Directory contains a list of names and addresses but no details of medical qualifications and specifies.." The following is a list of persons practising the medical profession in the provinces, who have not made any return of the nature of their qualifications in reply to repeated applications".

It maybe that the surname spelling of Crawcour is incorrect in the Directory or the reference is to Isaac L Crawcour pre his immigration to America.

I have looked at the 21 Parkside Knightsbridge address in newspaper records and other records but there is no reference to a George L Crawcour.

Phillip

Have you tried checking the 1851 and 1861 census?

The various records on both Ancestry.Com and Findmypast including census returns do not identify ( including phonetic/wild card etc variations) any reference to a George L Crawcour. In the 1851 Census ( Crown Copyright TNA) HO107 1469 257 61
    57 Brompton Crescent Kensington Middlesex (Ancestry.Com have the surname spelling as Crancour)
    Isaac Lionel Crawcour is living with his parents- Abraham Crawcour H M 40 Landed Proprietor b Middx Shoreditch
    Charlotte wife 40 b St Marylebone; Isaac son u 25 Student of Medicine and Surgery b Exeter Devon +2 servants

Isaac did not vary his name in any of the records I have seen both in the UK and USA.

Phillip

Spelling variations in things like the census tend to be due to the Enumerators rather than the name owners... There's remarkably few Crawcours in the '51 or '61 - are there "recording variations"? I've noticed that I've automatically typed "Crawcourt" a couple of times, and needed to correct it...

Lesley
    I have researched my Crawcour lines together with several distant relatives for over 16 years and have updated the major data base I hold on the lines world wide. All known Crawcour's world wide descend from one progenitor Samuel Crawcour 1748-1816 from Cracow Poland hence the name derivation.There are currently no unknown named Crawcour in the data base and the last name of Crawcour is uncommon.
    The name of George L Crawcour was the first time I had noted this name and suspect it may be Isaac Lionel Crawcour who moved to the USA.
    I am in the process of writing a book on the Crawcour hence my interest in notifying my Crawcour distant cousins of George L Crawcour just in case he was the George referred to in the family tree but he would have been well into his 70s.

Phillip