Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Abbreviation

Default They keep changing their names!!

Hi
    I wonder if anyone can help please. I've tied myself in complete knots with this tree problem.
    Emma Baster was born in Walworth Surrey in 1825/26. Daughter of James Baster and Elizabeth Clinch.
    There had been a family tale that Emma Baster had married somebody with the surname Kovats. This was 'confirmed' by the death certificate for her father which had informant E Kovats, daughter present at death (This from actual original cert with a family member) Same family member found 7 Smith Baster births listed on GRO birth indexes between 1853 and 1868
    John Smith Baster 1853
    Bela Smith Baster 1855
    Geza Smith Baster 1857
    Gyula Smith Baster 1860
    Matyas Smith Baster 1862
    Kate Elizabeth Smith Baster 1864
    Alice Smith Baster 1868
    After sending off for Geza Smith Baster's birth cert, mother is showing as Emma Baster, father's name has been left off. We are fairly confident this is our Emma.
    Family member is then convinced that in the 1861 census she finds Emma living with her husband John Kovats, cabinet maker, dob 1816 Hungary and children Arperd, Bela, Geza and Gyula. Living at 45 Cross street St Leonards Shoreditch.
    1871 census Camberwell Emma is showing as Kovatsand, no sign of husband John but Arperd/Arpad, Bela, Geza and Gegula (Gyula?), Kate Elizabeth and Alice.
    We then think we find Emma again but as Emma Smith in the 1881 census living at 52 Askew Crescent Hammersmith with a George, John and Kate. This is where things start to get a little shaky!!
    We did find a marriage for a John Kovats cabinetmaker in 1872 bachelor age 56 but his spouse was not Emma Baster but Elizabeth Sarah Young age 41 widow, daughter of Nathaniel Edmonds.
    The number of name changes has been very confusing and at times I think I've been following the wrong John!
    We can't find any death entries for Emma Baster/Smith Kovats and are struggling to find any entries for her variously named children!
    I'm sorry if this is very long and confusing but I need the help of the BG form to think this through more logically
    Thank you

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Name: Jean Kovats Furrier

Port of Arrival: London, England

Arrival Date: 5 Aug 1838

Country of Origin/Native of: Hungary

This relates to the alien record

Parish Chapel, St Pancras
    Event Date: 26 Feb 1848

Elizabeth Agnes Wheel
    Spouse: John Andrei Kovits Furrier

Event Date: 26 Feb 1848
    Parish:
    Parish Chapel, St Pancras

Father Name: William Wheel

Spouse Father: George Andrei Kovits

Abbreviation

Ah geneius, can this be the first of the bricks to come tumbling down!!
    Thank you so much. I needed some fresh eyes to look at this.

How do you connect into the BASTER ( or as I have seen transcribed BASTARD!) family?

Growing old Disgracefully

There is a birth cert for John Smith Baster born 1853 mother Emma Baster no fathers name.(someone posted it on Ancestry)

You have birth cert Geza Smith Baster's 1857 mothers name Emma Baster with no fathers name.

So did she have all these children and she was not married to the father ? also where dose the Smith name come from ?

janbooth

Ancestry have a non-conformist burial record at Hackney, Victoria Park Cemetery on 18 January 1863 for a Matys KOVATS, 7 Orchard Street, Well Street, Hackney, aged 10 months.

There is an Emma KOVATS in the 1881 census of Sydenham, Lewisham (RG11/738, folio 134, page 30). She is living at 45 Malham Road, a widow, aged 56 born Walworth, Surrey, and is described as a Precarrious??. Two unmarried children living with her namely a Kate E aged 17, Servant, born Hackney, & an Alice aged 12, Scholar, born Peckham, plus 1 Boarder & 2 Lodgers.

1871 census of Peckham, Surrey (RG10/732, folio 169, page 56) shows the following:

7 Salisbury Cottages

Emma KOVATS Head W 46 Seamstress Surrey Walworth
    Arpad do Son Un 17 Groom unemployed Middlesex Bishopgate
    Bela do Son 15 Leather Bag Maker do Finsbury
    Geza do Son 13 Assistant at a Butchers do St Lukes
    Gigula do Son 11 do do
    Kate Elizabeth do Daur 7 do Hackney
    Alice do Daur 2 Surrey Peckham

All of this fits in very well with the 1881 record of Emma in Lewisham. Will try to find the other children after the 1871 census now.

Janet

janbooth

Emma SMITH is living at 52 Askew Crest in the 1891 census of Hammersmith (RG12/42, folio 29, page 52):

Emma SMITH Head Wid 65 Living on own means London Walworth
    George do Son S 35 Leather Bag Maker do St Lukes (has Bela become George??)
    John do Son S 33 Bricklayer's Labourer do Finsbury (has Geza become John??)
    Kate do Daur S 27 Machinist do Hackney

Janet

Growing old Disgracefully

have you checked this death out

Deaths. Dec 1/4 1850, EMMA BASTER, East London, Vol no 2, Page no 152.

have you found a marriage for Emma Baster and Kovats yet

From a google search for Emma BASTER I have just picked up a date of death as 9 July 1909

I cannot find a John KOVATS marriage to Emma BASTER but in 1872 there is a marriage to a Elizabeth Sarah YOUNG

Quote Originally Posted by Sandyhall View Post
    have you checked this death out

Deaths. Dec 1/4 1850, EMMA BASTER, East London, Vol no 2, Page no 152.

have you found a marriage for Emma Baster and Kovats yet
    Most probably daughter of Joseph & Lydia BASTER bp 4 Feb 1824 MEOT
    Jos died 1840 /Lydia 1856

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast