Thread: RASC Libya 1943

Smile RASC Libya 1943

Hi everyone
    I am working on my great grandfather in my family tree and have found out he was in Libya in 1943 and served in the RASC and was a Driver T120176. Can anyone tell me what were the unit would have been based in England prior For leaving for Libya. On a small card we have , before the T number, it looks like it say's H9 maybe but it's hard to make out. Id appreciate any help anyone can give me. Thanks

scott

Hello Scott and welcome to the British-Genealogy forums.
    If you came to us from Forces war records reading This will tell you a little about us.

You can apply to the MoD for your great grandfather's service records. This 'sticky' explains and gives a link where you can download the application form. You will need your ggrandfather's death certificate and 30 pound.

There are also war diaries on The National Archives site. Here

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Hi Christina

Thank you for your kind reply yesterday.
    Unfortunately, is there another way do you know that is not as expensive as I am a Forensic Ballistics student and money is very difficult at present. Also , I don't have my GGrandfathers death certificate. When he died, my dad and was not given anything to do with the funeral, the sister secretly did everything except told him were the funeral would be. Sadly, my Ggrandfather had enough funding to be buried in a nice grave which was his wish but the family member had taken that funding and had him buried in a public grave I.E those with unrelated members buried on top of each other. I have tried to work with her to get info about my gg but she wont help me nor my dad so it's like fighting a losing battle. She's had what she wanted and now she want's nothing to do with anyone regarding my gg Harry. I really appreciate you took the time to help me and anything you can do to help me I appreciate as I am new to this. I live in the US now, I moved here 8 yrs ago from England, I wish I did my ancestry back there, it would definatley been much easier, but its easier to look back and wish, but I will plod on. I'm 40yrs so I hope I have many yrs to work on this, I'm not planning to go anywere soon
    God bless and hope to here from you again

Scott

Famous for offering help & advice gortonboy's Avatar

hi Scott,,,Welcome to the forum. There are very few records online for the WW2 period. If you post your ggrandads details,,,name ,,year of birth,,where born,,,i could have a look if there is anything. If you need a hand with any research,,just ask. cheers GB.

Hello Scott
    It is as gortonboy says- very little information on line for those who served in WW11 (unless famous!)
    A death certificate is no problem to obtain. If prior to 1983 you can look them up on FreeBMD and order from the GRO Here which is something to keep in mind maybe for later.
    ancestry.com have a free version of their site in many public libraries, yours may have it. It won't have any WW11 service records but may be helpful with your general family history research.
    Giving us your ggrandfather's details including his death date/year and place may help.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Quote Originally Posted by gortonboy View Post
    hi Scott,,,Welcome to the forum. There are very few records online for the WW2 period. If you post your ggrandads details,,,name ,,year of birth,,where born,,,i could have a look if there is anything. If you need a hand with any research,,just ask. cheers GB.
    Hi GB
    Thank you for your reply.
    My granddad name was Harry Nokes and he was born in London
    He served with the Royal Army Service Corps BEF. On a piece of paper my dad has, it looks like it says Div H9. His number was Driver T120176 abd I know from this forces war records site he was in Libya in 1943
    I'd love to know anything but I'm such a novice,I don't know what else to do. Do you know etat H9 was and were that barracks was in England.
    He died in 2006.
    Again, thanks GB for offering to help me. Appreciate your help
    Scott

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Hello Scott
    It is as gortonboy says- very little information on line for those who served in WW11 (unless famous!)
    A death certificate is no problem to obtain. If prior to 1983 you can look them up on FreeBMD and order from the GRO Here which is something to keep in mind maybe for later.
    ancestry.com have a free version of their site in many public libraries, yours may have it. It won't have any WW11 service records but may be helpful with your general family history research.
    Giving us your ggrandfather's details including his death date/year and place may help.
    Christina

Good Morning Christina, You are so helpful and knowledgeable, at least now I know I have some sites to keep in mind. This is the limited details I have of my Ggrandfathers military details:
    Thank you for your reply.
    My granddad name was Harry Nokes and he was born in London
    He served with the Royal Army Service Corps BEF. On a piece of paper my dad has, it looks like it says Div H9. His number was Driver T120176 abd I know from this forces war records site he was in Libya in 1943
    I'd love to know anything but I'm such a novice,I don't know what else to do. Do you know were H9 was and were that barracks was in England.
    He died in 2006.

Famous for offering help & advice gortonboy's Avatar

do you have his birth year? who did he marry? who were his children? we need to try and pin him down to a record somewhere.

Hello
    Looking for a death for Harry Nokes 2006 there is one registered in Lambeth March age 87. Birth date 19 Jun 1919.
    Vol1 page 1 Register Number - C75 District and Subdistrict - 241/1C Entry Number - 161

There is a also a death registration for a Henry Nokes with exactly all the same details as above so it would seem that his death was registered under both first names. However the birth registration does seem to be in the name of Harry Nokes September 1/4 (which includes July, Aug, Sept.) Because you are allowed 6 weeks to register the birth this would explain the September 1/4 birth registration.
    Christina
    William Burroughs