Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Found Devereux REES, but his name is Richard

Two weeks ago, I started a thread called "Finding Devereux REES", but with the computer glitch this website has suffered, it has disappeared into a black hole.

However, the users who helped me, (Christanel, dundee10, geneius & others) were excellent in their advices, and I have now determined that my g-g-grandfather (Evan Rees) was the third child of Richard and Mary (nee Soley) Rees.

The 1851 UK census has the family at Castle Street, Montgomery, Montgomeryshire, Wales.

Mary, Evan and Evan's sister Harriet Jane Rees Cooper (1837-1908) and brother Richard (1839-1918), emigrated to NZ in 1858.

I am now attempting to track the family back before 1851, and have a possible birth record for Richard on 12 Oct 1806 in Berriew. But it is not necessarily the correct Richard, so I wonder if any other members have researched this family already?

Any help appreciated.
    Thanks
    Roger

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I posted a reply, must have disappeared into the ether.....

Brilliant bit of detective work!

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by geneius View Post
    I posted a reply, must have disappeared into the ether.....

Brilliant bit of detective work!
    Thanks, geneius, but I couldn't have done it without help from the likes of you and others pointing me in the correct directions. The clincher was obtaining the death certificate of Evan's sister, with all the parental facts listed on it.

Last November, my wife & I spent time in Shropshire & Powys, researching my father's ancestry. We met a distant cousin (from Flintshire) in Berriew where my paternal g-g-grandfather was baptised in 1801. Now I have determined that my maternal g-g-g-grandmother was also born in Berriew, around 1809. And my parents didn't meet until 1947 (in New Zealand). How's that for a co-incidence?

cheers
    Roger

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Still seeking Richard REES

I am making slow progress in finding my Rees roots. (Been a bit of a delay in my research.)

I now believe Richard Rees was born to John and Jane (nee STEPHENS) REES in Llanidloes, Montgomeryshire & baptised on 20 Mar 1812. He may have had siblings John (bap 1 May 1807) and Margaret (bap 22 Mar 1816).

Does anyone have these people in their families trees?

Richard's Death Certificate gives his date of death from heart disease as 6 Nov 1855.

I will appreciate very much any assistance.

Roger

FindMyPast (image & transcription)
    Parish of Llanidloes 1814

William Rees, baptised 3 April, abode Llanidloes Town, parents John and Jane.

John's occupation on all 4 baptisms (John, Richard, William and Margaret) is Blacksmith.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"