Thread: Help with photo

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Help with photo

I am Kevin and new here and trying to find my way around. I too have a photo and am trying to identify the uniform and badge. One of the men was called Nicholson and was from Carlingford Co Louth Ireland.The picture was taken in Newcastle on Tyne after 1917. Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited by christanel; 22-09-2016 at 11:02 PM. Reason: forgot attachment

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

The top bit is a flaming bomb.
    A quick google brought up this - https://www.ebay.com/itm/BRITISH-ARMY...item2a62b8dd75
    May or may not be right?

regards

Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

Hello Kevin and welcometo the British-Genealogyforums.

I have moved your post to a thread of its own in the WW1 forum. it has the title 'Help with photo.'

If you came to us from Forces War Records reading This will tell you a little about us and why you ended up here.

Do you know any more about the man Nicholson? His first name, date of birth, did he survive the war etc?

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Kiltpin

Quote Originally Posted by lastleprechauns View Post
    I am Kevin and new here and trying to find my way around. I too have a photo and am trying to identify the uniform and badge. One of the men was called Nicholson and was from Carlingford Co Louth Ireland.The picture was taken in Newcastle on Tyne after 1917. Any help would be much appreciated.

Hello Last,

I have a few observations, which may or may not help.

If we number the men from the left 1, 2, and 3, we can see that number 2 is of a different regiment.

1 - His uniform is a darker colour. Yes there were variations between dye lots, but his hat, jacket and trousers are all darker.

2 - The jacket is cut differently. Note the collar. The collar of number 2 is cut so as to be spread, whereas, 1 and 3 have a more closed style. Yes there is a slight difference, but could be because number 3 had a fatter neck, or number 2 did not fasten the lower clip on his collar.

3 - The capbadges are different. In 1 and 3, the motto scroll at the bottom is running horizontal, whereas in number2 it is curving upwards.

I believe, therefore, that your workload has doubled. Unless you know for sure which one of the three is your man, you will have to investigate both.

If nothing else it will give an insight into who his friends were.

Regards

Kiltpin