Red face George William Walker

Hello, I have my Great Grandfather's Boer War medals and I am having them mounted and framed. I just need a little more information about him if possible to complete the picture.
    He was known as William Walker although his first name was George. He was in the Durham Light Infantry. He was a drummer and I have a photograph of him in his leopard skin apron.
    He was made a Corporal on 20/11/1901
    I have been told his service number was 4507, but I have not been able to verify that.

He came from the Barnard Castle area in the north east, and may have lived in Darlington. His son was also called George William Walker, but did not serve in the Boer War.
    I tried contacting the Boer War association, but have not had a reply after several weeks.
    I would like to know his date of birth and date of death.
    Was he still serving in the Boer War in 1901?
    Did he die in the War and if so could I get a photograph of his grave?
    I hope someone will be able to point me in the right direction.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Hello & Welcome

I have had a look at the relevant record and as you can imagine William Walker of DLI is not unique, neither is GHH!

Ideally we could do with his year of birth.

As you do not appear to know this, his wife's forename and maiden name would help or a brief list of how you are connected to GWW.

You may be able to find the information on this site wwwfreebmd.org

Or anything else you know about him...remember only personal details of deceased persons

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

No William nor George Walker with the DLI died during the Boer War in fact the nominal roll shows there to have been only two Walkers that served with the DLI, an N & HFT. It looks as if he survived!

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

If you have his medals, then look at the rim of them, it will tell you his service number and regiment, an that will verify what you have.
    Then you can look at the medal rolls on Ancestry.
    Also what medals do you have, they will confirm if he was still serving in 1901?

regards

Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.