kcapes

Default Re- Abbreviations

Afternoon everyone.
    Is there someone who could shed some light on the abbreviations on my father-laws Naval record. In the field with the heading ship in which serving it says Invalided (14/2/45), the next heading from says (nil FSL) in the last heading rating and discharge is DNA3aR/E. I know he was invalided to RN hospital Chatham, but I can't find out what injury he had, my husband wrote for his medical records but they refused.
    I do have his military record which are mostly shore bases, he was a Wireless Telegraphist, he joined as a boy 1937 and completed training for WT 1939 at HMS Ganges, but apart from a list of ships Royal Navy Command sent me it doesn't tell me anything. I would love to find out how he picked up the injury, my husband said he never talked about any of it, he said because they made him leave after the war. He was Clifford Charles Capes JX 154978
    Thank you
    Kim

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi Kim,

The Royal Navy list of abbreviations gives FSL as Foreign Service Leave.

I can't see anything for the second abbreviation. The composition suggests it might be the title of a regulation. The clerk completing the document would have been required to cite the appropriate regulation under which the action was allowed. Perhaps someone with better RN knowledge will stop by and give you a more informed opinion.

Peter

A fountain of knowledge

DNA3a is a reference number of an award from the Royal Patriotic Fund.

kcapes

Thank yo so much Peter, it gives me something else to check.
    Kim

kcapes

Thank you so much, I'll have a look.
    Kim