Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by shume View Post
    Hi.. have you checked out the Founders and Survivors research.. we investigated many convict ships to TAS especially the men's family backgrounds and what happened to them afterwards. This was the first time this had ever been researched.
    Regards
    Stephanie from Australia
    I have looked at that web site, but so far I have not found any of the men from this ship "claimed". There are one or two, so far, whose descendants have published family trees, and if I ever get to an appropriate point in my project I will try with to liaise with those tree owners. At the moment I am very at the information gathering stage.

Thank you for your interest.

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    Trove has a number of hits for a James Fleming - Bell's Life in Sydney & Sporting Review 27 Dec 1845, refers to a James Fleming "free by servitude".
    Is there more than one James Fleming - all reports I've read have James Fleming in trouble with the authorities.
    Sorry its taken me a couple of days to say thanks, but I was away.

There were 3 James Flemings who arrived in NSW in the 1830s all about the same age. 2 were from Ireland and this chap who was from London, but who also had an alias of Connelly.

However, he did get his Ticket of Leave in 1846, although I am 99.9% that the Bell's Life article is about him as his Ticket of Leave was issued in Bathurst.

For the latter convictions mentioned I think I will have to look for prison records, because they usually record what vessel they arrived on, which can often be the only way to distinguish people with common names.

Default JOHN TURNER - HANDWRITING HELP PLEASE

John Turner was transported for 7 years, served his time and was granted his freedom in 1838. Then in 1839 he turned to crime again and this time got sent to Norfolk Island for 10 years - he and a group of others burgled a house.

His certificate of freedom is annotated with that basic fact, and then underneath it there is a second line which reads something like:

"Exd under the Act of Council 2 ***** No. 1 21 Nov 1845"

Would I be right in thinking that this means he was executed?

I think the missing word is "Victoria"

Search TROVE using key "2 victoria no 1" and restrict search period to "1842-08-26 to 1842-08-26". Should produce 2 newspapers (Australian Chronicle and Colonial Observer) with an article about Norfolk Island.

I think the "Exp" might refer to "Expiry"?

P.S. - thanks for confirming the existence of more than 1 James Fleming, else he was a one man crime wave!
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

https://discovery.ucl.ac.uk/1331355/1...sland_2010.pdf

See page 5 (they're not numbered) and reference to the 1838 act -the newspaper reports of 1842 refer to the act "...4 years ago ..."

I can't believe how you ferret things out .... very impressive

Expired is definitely preferable to executed from a modern perspective, although, even the NSW's own record suggest that Norfolk Island was not a nice to be: https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archi...k-island-guide

Thanks again for your help.

Default Thomas Owen - More Handwriting help please

Thomas Owen had done his time, and then decided to get into cattle stealing, so in 1848 was caught with 120 cattle that he did not own, and was sentenced to 7 years hard labour.

In 1852 I find him being admitted to Newcastle gaol and it looks like he still has not learnt his lesson. The Entrance Book is a log listing when he was admitted, the reason for his admission, and the purpose of his being admitted. I struggling to read this. The extract is below.

I think it reads

Aug 6 Suspected of being concerned in a case of ??????????? Remanded ???? and Remanded again ??????????

Any help will be much appreciated.

thanks
    Megan

My little bit
    Being concerned in a case of manslaughter?
    Remanded till Aug? 2nd? and remanded again till further?........?

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

shume

Default Thomas Owen

"Suspected of being concerned in a case of Manslaughter
    Remanded till Aug 2nd and remanded again till further orders"

Stephanie

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast