Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Brick wall demolition expert!

Default WILLIAM DAY 1779 -

As its a Sunday and a little quiet I thought you might like might like these two newspaper cuttings about this chap who still trying to get away at 90.

Note: even though the second article says that he arrived in 1837 rather than 1832 I fairly confident that they are one and the same.

Default PARDONS

I have been trying, and failing to find some guide lines about the issuing of pardons, and hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I know that those transported for life, providing they behaved themselves, could generally expect after a period of time to be granted a CONDITIONAL PARDON which has an expression in it along the lines of “a pardon for the offence, in respect which such sentence of transportation was passed aforesaid, which taken effect in all parts of the World, except the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland; provided always and it is hereby expressly declared to be a condition of this pardon that is the said [CONVICT] shall at any time during the continuance of the term of his said sentence go to or be in any part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland then this pardon shall thenceforth be and become wholly void ..."

The holy grail was an ABSOLUTE PARDON, which had no such limitations on it.

Today I came across a SECOND CLASS CONDITIONAL PARDON, where the convict is restricted to travel in the Australian and New Zealand colonies only.

This is the first instance I have come across of this type of pardon. All the records available for the man in question say that his conduct was excellent. His employer was recommending him for a pardon, there was a huge amount of support for him from back home, basically along the lines that he was the victim of an injustice.

I have had a look on the National Archives, but I can't see any clear guidance there, although I might have missed it.

So in a nutshell does anyone know what if any guide lines there were for issuing the different types of pardons?

Default Thomas Adey - One boy or two?

Trying to research the back story for this convict from Gloucestershire I have found a number of references in the Gloucestershire Prisons Collections at Ancestry, but am in danger of tying myself into a knot.

The first reference I have is in "Calendars of Prisoners for Berkeley, Cirencester, Northgate (Gloucester), Lawfords Gate (Bristol) and Winchcombe" Reference: Q/SG2/1789-1814. Under "Prisoners ordered to be Imprisoned and kept to Hard Labour in the Penitentiary House" there is No. 15 Thomas Adey aged 11 House Breaking Date Convicted: Michaelmas Sessions, Oct 2, 1810, Twelve months.

The second reference I is in the same collection as above, but under the heading "For Lent Assizes 1811" No 6 says "Thomas Adey, aged 11 committed October 19 1810 by Henry Burgh and Samuel Wathen Esqs and William Mills, Clerk, charged upon the oath of Richard Blackmore with feloniously breaking open the dwelling-house of him the said Richard Blackmore, at the parish of Horsley, on Tuesday last with an intent to commit a felony therein." I can then find the trial records in January 1811 for this case, where he was found guilty and sentenced to 12 months.

I think it unlikely that there were two 11 year old Thomas Adey committed felonies in 1810/1811 in Gloucester, so I am assuming that they were one and the same, even though I can't work out how he could do the second crime if he was in the Penitentiary for the first. What do others think?

Default CHARLES THORNTON & JANE COX

Charles Thornton from Kent born about 1796 and married with 3 or 4 children was transported for Life for stealing a sack of potatoes after being tried at Maidstone.

I found him in Ancestry's Australian data set "Wives and Families of Convicts on Bounty Ships, 1832-1834", or should I say his wife, Jane Cox. The last column of the ledger lists "residency of wife and to whom she is known". I can't make head nor tail of the town / village / parish, and am hoping that someone here might have better luck deciphering it.

The only bit I get is B ........... ery

Is it "Balruddery, Dublin"?
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

The Northern Standard, 28 Nov 1840
    IRISH MANUFACTURE - GREAT MEETING AT BALBRIGGAN

"..... Among the gentlemen ... we perceived ... ; Rev J Smith, P P, Balruddery ..."

A separate newspaper report of the meeting refers to "The Rev. John Smith, P P, ..."

I am going to have to go and make some food and have a drink and have a think as I have just discovered there was another Charles Thornton of the same age!!! So possibly, probably Jane Cox was his wife, not this one's wife, although this one was married with children.

Is the other "Rich'd Tiernan, Bal(b)rigan"

I have gone back and looked at the record again, and I now think it likely that it is the other Charles Thornton, because:

(a) I think helachau has correctly identified the location, and I can't see that a man from Kent would have a wife from Dublin, being vouched for by men from Dublin, and
    (b) Jane Cox has 4 children, whereas Charles Thornton on the Mangles had 3, and
    (c) the date range of the record set is 1832-1834 is probably too early for the men of Mangles. The other Charles Thornton was convicted somewhat earlier.

So for now until I find something to contradict this, I'll assume that it's not the man on the Mangles.

Thanks for the help anyway.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast