Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Famous for offering help & advice

Default Janet Daniel Hockly born 1840

Hi

Janet Daniel Hockly - born 1840 Calcutta. Marries William Philip Collom in Calcutta 1858. "decree nisi" 25 July 1875. "final decree" 8 February 1876. Should she not return to Janet Hockly after a divorce ?

1881 census - still Janet Collom (ought to be aged 41 not 35 ?) with her last legitimate child and her two illegitimate children (+ her brother Septimus) - at Stoke Damarel, Devon.

1921 died as Janet D Collom in Essex ?? no idea where she was betweentimes

have I gone wrong somewhere ?

Growing old Disgracefully

After divorce she still keeps her married name or call herself whatever she likes. I don't think there is any Law that says you have to change back to your maiden name.

someone will correct me I'm sure

oh I see. is that still the case? I'm ignorant on these matters. So if she had remarried it would be as Janet Collom. I hope she didn't call herself "whatever she likes" - that would make research very difficult.

Yes she would have been married as Janet Collom.

These days the youngsters hyphen both names ie Hockly - Collom.

Both my nieces have done this cause as they say "why should I change my name just cause I marry someone"

Sorry saying "whatever she likes" was a bit harsh of me. Bit early in the morning for me brain not in gear yet.

thanks.

I take it the census never distinguished between married and divorced. On that 1881 census she is Janet Collom "married" - "wife of merchant captain" - despite the divorce

on second thoughts are there various degrees of divorce - does it (or did it) take a few years to take effect ?

janbooth

Here she is in the 1911 census of East Ham, Essex living at 9 Norfolk Road with daughter Edwina - Ancestry have mistranscribed her as Thomas:

Janet COLLOM Head 70 Widow No Profession Calcutta
    Edwina do Daughter 30 Single No Profession Devonport

Details crossed out are that she has been married 50 years, had 12 children 5 of whom are still living.

Janet

many thanks for that. 12 children. Oh dear, that means I'm missing 5. But does confirm Essex death. Excellent.

I found 6 children 1 of these died

William James Collom
    BIRTH 1862 • Calcutta, West Bengal, India
    DEATH 22 FEBRUARY 1944 • Hong Kong, China

George Murray Collom
    BIRTH 1865 • Calcutta, Bengal, India
    DEATH MAR 1922 • Plymouth, Devon, England

Charles Hope Collom
    BIRTH 9 SEP 1866 • Chr. Kidderpore Bengal India
    DEATH 10 SEP 1866 • Kidderpore, Bengal, India

Richard Hockly Collom
    BIRTH JANUARY 1870 • Mile End Old Town, London
    DEATH 3 OCTOBER 1940

Hilda Mary Collom
    BIRTH ABT 1873 • Devonport, Devon, England

Edwina Leonardo Melita Collom
    BIRTH ABT 1875 • Devonport, Devon, England
    DEATH 1 FEB 1947 • East Ham, Essex, England

Just found another
    Janet Ruth Collom
    BIRTH 09 OCT 1860 • Kidderpore, Bengal, India
    DEATH Unknown

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandyhall View Post
    After divorce she still keeps her married name or call herself whatever she likes. I don't think there is any Law that says you have to change back to your maiden name.

someone will correct me I'm sure
    Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    oh I see. is that still the case? I'm ignorant on these matters. So if she had remarried it would be as Janet Collom. I hope she didn't call herself "whatever she likes" - that would make research very difficult.
    What Sandyhall is referring to, is the fact that in the UK you can call yourself any name you like as long as it's not with intent to defraud. So I could say that from tomorrow I want to be called Minnie Whatnot (not going to though, too much hassle getting all the documents changed to that name! )

wimsey, there's almost hundreds of instances on BG alone where it's been proven (as much as possible) that our ancestors have changed their names. (As if it's not bad enough that even when they keep their 'known' name they lie about their ages and birthplaces on the census. )

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    thanks.

I take it the census never distinguished between married and divorced. On that 1881 census she is Janet Collom "married" - "wife of merchant captain" - despite the divorce

on second thoughts are there various degrees of divorce - does it (or did it) take a few years to take effect ?
    If Janet said she was married on the census technically she's probably guilty of lying, though she's probably only saying it to save face.
    It's interesting that there are several other women whose husbands are not listed in the household and whose occupation such as 'sailor's wife' have been crossed through at some time by some official. Wonder if it was someone who knew the people involved and that there was no 'man about the house'.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    It's interesting that there are several other women whose husbands are not listed in the household and whose occupation such as 'sailor's wife' have been crossed through at some time by some official. Wonder if it was someone who knew the people involved and that there was no 'man about the house'.
    I hadn't noticed that. I've always ignored those heavy diagonal crossings-out. Janet's husband was a merchant captain, so that had been true ...... once.

So all those other "sailor's wife" women are actually unmarried mothers - I guess one would expect a high incidence of that in ports.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast