Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Looking for records William Phelps

Not sure how to go about this or where this post needs to go, but I'm looking for some info on the William Phelps immigrant from Crewkerne who came to the United States in 1630. There is little record on him in the U.K. other than that he was good friends with John Warham and a member of his church. Most of what I know is when he arrived in the United States. Supposedly he was born in 1593.

Now, upon looking online, I have found a baptismal record dated for a William Phelps in 1594 who is the son of Jefferie Phelps in Wootton Bassett, Wiltshire. Additionally, I have traced a marriage record for a Jefferie Phelps and Joane Bath on February 14th of 1586 or 1587 in Wootton Bassett, Wiltshire. I don't know the validity of these (used UK databases) as they have little info, and I have no clue if the Phelpses of Wootton Bassett are connected to the William Phelps of Crewkerne, but I'm looking for some kind of confirmation if it can be gotten.

I will note that the William of Tewkesbury (1599) has been confirmed to NOT be the same William of Crewkerne (1593), despite people commonly mixing the two together. I am looking for the info on the William of Crewkerne who traveled to Dorset, MA and then to Windsor, CT aboard the Mary and John.

Please help me gather this info and if I'm in the wrong place, please direct me to where I need to go. Thank you.

Hi

This site may help with explaining what is available and where.

I have moved this thread to the Somerset forum as being a bit more relevant to your query.

Hopefully someone who is more experienced will be along to offer suggestions.

Christina

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs