Thread: Luker & Hughes

Default Luker & Hughes

I am new to family history study.

I am looking for anyone else who may be looking into the family history of the LUKER family or the HUGHES family. Both families are based in London, UK. The LUKER family may have links to WALES.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Mark,

People who are just beginning their family history research are so lucky compared to when I started fifteen years ago because so much more is online. However even today it's still not possible to complete your tree in an evening as some adverts would have you believe.

I gained a lot of my early knowledge simply by reading every daily post on the various (county) mailing lists to which I belonged, and then by reading most of the posts once I joined Brit-Gen.
    Even better is that nowadays Brit-Gen has 'stickies' at the top of most of the forums with links to various websites and hints about research.

I am looking for anyone else who may be looking into the family history of the LUKER family or the HUGHES family.
    Presumably you still want to trace the family history yourself, not just hope that someone will see your post and say 'Hi cousin'.

So to start off, you need your birth certificate, then your parent's marriage certificate, then their birth certificates. From there you then do the same with your grandparents, great-grandparents, etc. Work back logically. Don't find a name somewhere and then try to link yourself to it. That's the way not to do it.

When you get back to 1939 you will hopefully be able to find people in the 1939 Register (only available on Findmypast, but lots of places in London allow you free access to the site). Further back in 1911 you have a census, available on FMP and Ancestry as well as other sites.

So when you've got back as far as you can without getting stuck (don't worry if you only get back to 1900) then ask for help, just remember to tell us who, what, why, when, and where, and exactly what you want to know.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”