Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    genie12

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Do you have his mother in censuses after 1861? Did she marry? Although at the age of 18 I don't see why he would change his name to that of a stepfather unless it was to gain support of some kind.

Christina
    This could be her in 1871,servant.
    Elizabeth Bamfield
    Piece: RG10/2333 Place: St Ives -Cornwall Enumeration District: 1
    Civil Parish: St. Ives Ecclesiastical Parish: Halsetown
    Folio: 11 Page: 17 Schedule: 87
    Address: Halse Town.
    I think that she was born in Camborne because her father David was born there.
    The surnaame has been Banfield/Bamfield.

janbooth

I did find a James BANFIELD born c1843 in England who emigrated to Canada arriving in Ontario in 1871 on the US & Canada Passenger & Immigration List Index but according to the 1871 census of Haldimand, Ontario he is shown as a Wagonmaker? This is only a transcription of the census and I cannot find this James BANFIELD in any other Canadian census records but there does seem to be a family of BANFIELDs in the 1841 census of Haldimand, the head of this family being a John BANFIELD, aged 39, born in England. Wife Jane and 7 children all born in Canada. John & family are still in Haldimand in the 1861 census.

Just spotted a James BANFIELD aged 40, born England, a Dry Goods ?, living in Halifax, Nova Scotia in the 1881 census together with wife Philis (sic), aged 34, born England and children James & Edward both born Nova Scotia.

However, whether these James BANFIELDs are connected to yours I do not know as I am having a distinct lack of success in finding any marriages, deaths, etc.

Janet

genie12

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    I did find a James BANFIELD born c1843 in England who emigrated to Canada arriving in Ontario in 1871 on the US & Canada Passenger & Immigration List Index but according to the 1871 census of Haldimand, Ontario he is shown as a Wagonmaker? This is only a transcription of the census and I cannot find this James BANFIELD in any other Canadian census records but there does seem to be a family of BANFIELDs in the 1841 census of Haldimand, the head of this family being a John BANFIELD, aged 39, born in England. Wife Jane and 7 children all born in Canada. John & family are still in Haldimand in the 1861 census.

Just spotted a James BANFIELD aged 40, born England, a Dry Goods ?, living in Halifax, Nova Scotia in the 1881 census together with wife Philis (sic), aged 34, born England and children James & Edward both born Nova Scotia.

However, whether these James BANFIELDs are connected to yours I do not know as I am having a distinct lack of success in finding any marriages, deaths, etc.

Janet
    Probably will never know what happened to him.
    James's mother Elizabeth had brothers David bap 1807 and John bapt 1809 both bapt Camborne,whom I don't know anything about. Perhaps their offspring emigrated.

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by genie12 View Post
    Are there any lists of miners going to South America?
    on the subject generally there is this website, but I don't want to send anybody off onto a wild goose chase
    https://projects.exeter.ac.uk/cornish...esandlinks.htm

Famous for offering help & advice

to save anyone the bother, there are only a couple of Banfields in their database, Edward & Elizabeth from Ilfracombe
    https://projects.exeter.ac.uk/cornish...anancestor.php

genie12

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    to save anyone the bother, there are only a couple of Banfields in their database, Edward & Elizabeth from Ilfracombe
    https://projects.exeter.ac.uk/cornish...anancestor.php
    That is an interesting site.
    I haven't found my Banfield's but my friend will be pleased when she sees this site because I have just found some surnames from her family.
    I will email the link to her.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12