Loves to help with queries

Default Cornwall Memorial INscription Index

A question I hope someone can answer for me. I once found a reference to my gggrandmother, Maria Barbara Christiana Sophie Schroeder in the above index, Ref W-C-065. I have a grave site number and was told she is buried in Falmouth Old Cemetery. After searching, even with the grave site number no gravestone was found.

My question is - if gggrandmother's name is listed in the above Index does that mean someone has actually seen the gravestone or could they get this information elsewhere?

Hope this makes sense?

Famous for offering help & advice

this is the grave reference I assume A / O / 27

https://www.falmouthtowncouncil.co.u...burial-records

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

The reference joycelyn found was on FMP. Details about the Index say "These records represent two decades of work by the transcribers from Cornwall Family History Society recording the details from gravestones and other memorials across the county."
    I would therefore think that if there is a gravestone with an inscription the people to tell you would be Cornwall FHS.

No photos on Findagrave or Billiongraves.

Entry in Falmouth cemetery burial register.
    https://www.twachronicle.com/falmouth...9/pge00105.jpg

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    The reference joycelyn found was on FMP.
    I know

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    I know
    My comment wasn't a dig at you, wimsey.
    It was just a statement of fact, telling everyone where joycelyn had found the information. (Often knowing the precise source of information helps us to give a better reply. )

Unfortunately I am a very slow typist and take a while to double-check stuff/check extra stuff I think of at the last minute, and I was still typing after you'd posted.
    Double/cross-posting of information often happens.

Pam

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    this is the grave reference I assume A / O / 27

https://www.falmouthtowncouncil.co.u...burial-records
    Many thanks, Wimsey, that is the reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    The reference joycelyn found was on FMP. Details about the Index say "These records represent two decades of work by the transcribers from Cornwall Family History Society recording the details from gravestones and other memorials across the county."
    I would therefore think that if there is a gravestone with an inscription the people to tell you would be Cornwall FHS.

No photos on Findagrave or Billiongraves.

Entry in Falmouth cemetery burial register.
    https://www.twachronicle.com/falmouth...9/pge00105.jpg

Pam
    I haven't actually seen this Pam, so thank you. I found the grave reference a fair few years ago and did go looking but couldn't find a gravestone. I just wanted to confirm that the inscription had come from a stone and not a record book. Many thanks for your help.

joycelyn,
    There's a huge misunderstanding between burial registers and gravestone/memorial inscriptions. Bit like death and burial. Sort of the same, but they're not.
    The tendency is that everyone thinks that because they've found where someone's buried if they visit the cemetery/churchyard they're going to find a gravestone saying 'yoo-hoo, here I am' but the reality is the opposite, with most graves not having any stones/markers.

Which is why, in this instance, you need to ask Cornwall FHS for the source of their record and if they have details of an inscription. If there is one, they may ask for a donation before they give you any details. (Compare it to the price of travelling to Falmouth and trudging round the cemetery yourself before you moan about the cost.)

Pam

Hi, it's been nearly 4 years since I placed my last post of this but I thought I would let everyone know that just a couple of weeks ago someone actually found my GGgrandmother's gravestone in Falmouth Old Cemetery. This lovely man had looked for me last Autumn and couldn't find it then, on a daily walk through the cemetery, he came across it - by a 'fluke' as he said. Good things can come to those who wait! :-)