This post re-examines records from the A M Hyamson and Sir Thomas Colyer Ferguson Anglo Jewish Archives held at the Society of Genealogists in London and also Southampton University relating to David Crawcour 1791-1882 and his wife Amelia Barnes 1792-1870. The couple died in St Helier Jersey having moved from London post 1861. This thread should be read in conjunction with the many other Crawcour posts I have written on this forum particularly in connection with the South African and Australian descendants of David and Amelia ( my 4x great grandparents). During the early research I undertook with one of my distant Crawcour cousins a data base was developed on the Crawcour lines world wide. This data base included among numerous sources documents I obtained from my researches some 8-9 years ago including the Hyamson and Colyer Ferguson records on the Crawcour lines. These records included family trees and notes written both in English and Hebrew.
In addition, one of our Crawcour distant cousins had sent us information which suggested that David Crawcour had been married twice and that several of his children including my 3x great grandmother were from his first marriage. A copy of a family tree appeared to indicate that David's first wife had died in 1826.
In preparation for a book I am writing on the Crawcour families I have begun to re-examine all the documents I hold on the lines. This re-examination together with access to new records not originally available suggests that David Crawcour was married only once and to Amelia Barnes. The enlargement of the original documents shows that David married Amelia Barnes at the Western Synagogue 2.12.1812 - Miss Mirel bat Mordecai- Colyer Ferguson has Miriam daughter of Mordecai in 1812 but Hyamson provides more data with a specific date and names. of Miss Mirel bat Mordecai
Importantly, the date of 1826 which appeared to be the death of David's first wife was in fact the death of his daughter- see Cemetery Scribes Tombstone record for Ann daughter of David Crawcour who departed this life 24th AM 558(6) age 6 years- ID 3591
My own 3x great grandmother was named after Ann and also David's mother.
To further add weight to a first and only marriage Australian Death Records for Isaac Crawcour 1815-1886 and Aaron Crawcour 1818-1901 both give the names of their parents as David and Amelia and in the case of Isaac his mother is named as Amelia Barnes.
The children of David and Amelia were:
Morris 1813-1898; Isaac 1815-1886; Samuel 1816-1858; Aaron 1818-1901; Ann (Kenandela) 1820-1826
Ann Rebecca aka Rebecca 1821-1867
Henry John 1824-1904

Although the Tombstone of David Crawcour can be seen on Cemetery Scribes website together with the Blog which describes how the tombstone was discovered and photographed with others including David Crawcour the grandson of David I have yet to discover where Amelia Crawcour nee Barnes is buried.

Phillip