Question Acronym help...PLEASE!!

I am in Australia and I have in my possession my grandfather's WWII Certificate of Service booklet (little red one issued by Regular Army) There's not much in it aside from general info although it seems a good place to start research.
    He was in the Royal Signals 8th Army, I was told as a dispatch rider (although there's something about 8th Indian Division Signals being a secondary division on the record I sourced here)
    My question is in regards to his service location. I've worked out what CMF stands for but for the period August 1945 to November 1947 it has "N.W.E". We thought at first it may mean North West England but the entry directly beneath says Home as have all other entries where he wasn't deployed in the UK.
    In his lifetime he relayed amusing stories about Italy, Egypt and India but didn't say too much about Europe itself other than one brief, passing mention of Belsen that we were so shocked about we missed nearly entirely! And of course he never spoke of it again after that.
    Problem is, I cannot find any site that explains the acronym or even offers a vague supposition as to what it stands for, it's driving me nuts
    Does anyone know or is willing to point me in the right direction? I'd be eternally grateful to have this mini mystery solved once and for all.
    All the best

As you've no doubt found, there's a lot of lists of abbreviations around, but this one HERE gives it as North West Echelon, Norwest Europe. That could cover the approach to Belsen....

Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

N.W.E. was North West Europe.

Keith

Reputation beyond repute

If you look at the National Archives guide to army operations in WW2 you'll find a list of theatres of war of which North West Europe is one.

By the way, it's an abbreviation, not an acronym.

Cheers. The NA can be a bit trick for someone just starting out if you don't know where to look exactly.
    As for the grammar lesson, obviously they teach us differently Down Under I'll keep it in mind for next time.

Dundee10

Did he enlist in Australia? if so, wouldn't you be better off working from his service record? If it hasn't yet been digitised it will cost you $20.90.

https://www.naa.gov.au/collection/exp...army-wwii.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee10 View Post
    Did he enlist in Australia? if so, wouldn't you be better off working from his service record? If it hasn't yet been digitised it will cost you $20.90.

https://www.naa.gov.au/collection/exp...army-wwii.aspx
    No, my granddad was a Yorkshireman to the bone and didn't emigrate until the early 70's. It would be easier if he was Australian because then I could access his service record instead of filling out about 7 different forms, providing death certs and sending money overseas with no guarantee that I'll receive any info additional to what I already have
    Thanks for responding though, appreciate the effort